Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Dongle advice

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

WiFi Dongle advice

Looking for a WiFi dongle for Linux.

Using Linux Mint 20 if that’s of any relevance.

Plenty of such devices advertised that claim to work with Linux but feedback from some users of the TP Link AC1900 claim that it only works with older versions of Linux and the Linux drivers supplied on CD or downloaded from the TP website do not work.

So advice please, in particular from anyone who uses Linux Mint or latest versions of Linux who use a recently purchased WiFi dongle within a reasonable price range.

Thankyou.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: WiFi Dongle advice

@gleneagles I'm no Linux expert - at all  - just struggling to understand it at the moment, but do you mean an extender?

As I have been advised, for something which is Linux specific, the best place to look is on the various Linux forums -there are often work arounds or geeks that have found solutions, although I struggle to understand Linuxese at times.Smiley

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@gleneagles 

Why not get a MiFi unit? I have a Huawei E5575 but there are many alternatives. Being a mobile network wireless/USB router they will work over wireless if there are any USB issues.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@Baldrick1 

You have lost me on that one, the Huawei E5575 sounds like some mobile device....I just want a simple dongle that goes into a USB port on a desktop computer, sorry if I omitted to include that point in my post.

@jab1 

Yes that the best idea to have a look through the various mint Linux forums, 

Thanks for the replies.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Ah - so you want to convert the desktop from cable to wireless connection. Again, sorry I can't help with that. I do have an (old) desktop, but it is only used as a repository for things I 'might need' but don't want to clutter my current machines or externals with. It hasn't been 'on line for about 5 years, but still functions as a storage medium.

John
Baldrick1

@gleneagles 

Sorry, I assumed that you wanted a dongle to connect to the mobile network, not your main router.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@gleneagles very few USB Wifi dongles will be supplied with Linux drivers. The best approach is to try and find a dongle which specifies the chipset that it is based on, then check to see if there is Linux support for that chip. You'll very likely have to build and load an additional driver ( see this for an example https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/realtek.html ).

Assuming your desktop has an ethernet port, have you considered getting a wireless bridge ? That way you don't have a problem with linux drivers. If you dont need super fast speed then something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bridge-Convert-Ethernet-Wireless-Repeater/dp/B07TND8849/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1... ought to work ( but I've never used one! )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

@gleneagles, @MisterW 

If it's for use in the home why not simply us a wireless extender that includes an Ethernet port? Obviously no good for a poratble device that you want to use out and about.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

why not simply us a wireless extender that includes an Ethernet port? i.e a wireless bridge!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1

Because a Wireless bridge 'ought to work' I was looking to removing the uncertainty.

Moderator and Customer

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Baldrick1 Ah! thanks I wasn't clear, I meant that the cheap and cheerful one I linked should work.

Actually if dual band speed isn't needed and mains is available this this https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1286627 at £14.99 will work just fine.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @gleneagles 

I use a TL-WN823n successfully on Mint20, Raspberry OS and Debian 10.

'lsusb' output details Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter 

I can confirm that a TP-Link AC600 does not work even though lsusb show the device as TP-Link AC600 wireless Realtek RTL8811AU [Archer T2U Nano] I can configure it but it just doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks will have a read of those links, also posted the question on Linux mint forums.