cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutdown and "express.exe"

penneck
Rising Star

Shutdown and "express.exe"

Over the last few days, most times when I shut my pc down, the shutdown process gets stopped and I get a message in a small window that one place in memory cannot be read. It states that express.exe is still running (is it this that is trying to read this part of memory?), and I have to click on a soft button in that window to stop express.exe. I do that and the shutdown completes.

What is going on? This may be a minor irritation at the moment, but could it be the start of something worse? What is express.exe anyway?

Thanks for any help. Take care

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 63

Re: Shutdown and "express.exe"

Don't know that .exe file, @penneck , but a quick search and the first repose - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/expressexe-error-at-shutdown/b1cd... suggests it could be related to the Garmin satnav - do you have one?

John
penneck
Rising Star

Yes I do have Garmin on my pc. Unfortunately, apart from removing the Garmin software, there wasn't any other suggested cures. There was a Garmin update the other day too. I think I will have to contact Garmin and see what they think. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for your help

jab1
Seasoned Hero

OK, that rules out a rogue .exe -good. Can you not try uninstalling and reinstalling the software? - sounds as though it might have got it's knickers in a twist. Also, if it is old and you are using W10, that OS can get upset quite easily.

John
penneck
Rising Star

I could try a re-install, but I don't want to lose my running history. In the meantime, I have emailed Garmin UK. I will wait for their response before I go down the re-install route.

Cheers and thankyou

penneck
Rising Star

Hello @jab1 ,

Emails have been flying to and from Garmin on this problem. They suggested a re-install. It worked in the period between Uninstall and Reinstall in that the shutdown problem disappearred, but as soon as Garmin went back on, the problem recurred. They have finally agreed to put the problem to their backroom boys and girls, and will let me know.... ... and just as I expected, because of the uninstall/reinstall, I've lost my running history (apart from the most recent run - I guess that is still recorded in the watch).

Thanks for your help. Take care. Stay safe

jab1
Seasoned Hero

OK @penneck - I'll leave it to Garmin, as I suspect it is their problem. Hope you get it sorted.Looks like it could have been the 'update' - they do have a disturbing tendency to break things.

John