Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whoops - how to repair USB socket

FIXED
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Whoops - how to repair USB socket

I just had an accident where I caught my foot in the cable attached to the front usb ports on my case and totally wrecked it (the ports that is not the cable)

I haven't found any suitable replacement (the case is end of life from Akasa so no help there) any suggestions

15 REPLIES 15
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Whoops - how to repair USB socket

There's generally a few USB spare sockets located at the back of the case. Tongue

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

It is possible to replace the usb ports on your case if you are handy with a soldering iron and a steady hand. If you have any old motherboards at your disposal you can remove the USB ports from that and replace them on your case. I haven't personally tried it but I did find a video of someone doing this.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

something like this ? https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB%7B47%7DAC97%7B47%7DHD%252dAudio-Motherboard-Internal-Front-Panel...

Or http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/usb-front-panel

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Oldjim
Resting Legend

already tried ebay but nothing suitable

the soldering route looks interesting as I have a few old motherboards knocking about but that gives a possible option to look at (will check if I can get a female USB fitting somewhere as that may be easier)

RJM
Rising Star

The second link @rongtw has suggested is the easiest route if you have an spare-slot on the front of your case.

I did the exactly the same thing many years ago and it was a lot cheaper than taking the PC in for repair and a lot quicker.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Looks like this may work http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/type-a-usb-connectors/8621576/

but will take the old one out first to check the mounting

R8621576-01

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I like the ideas of having a bay USB replacement, good idea as its an easy fix and no fussing around with soldering.. but if its an Antec case I bet there is a swinging door on the front of the case. I had a P180 until about a year ago.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That could work @Oldjim but I think it requires USB 3 connections on the mobo as its a USB3 socket? Unless its backwards compatible which I am not sure about.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is why I picked it I have USB 3 and 2 connectors on the motherboard

Although having said that I can't see why I would want USB 3 on the front panel (it was USB 2 before I broke it) so a USB 2 would be a cheaper option

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Fix

Final update

Took the front off the case yesterday and replacing the broken USB socket is not an option

Fortunately the case - An Akasa Eclipse 62 - has three things going for it
The front usb ports are behind an opening cover which hides it
It has two 3.5" front floppy slots
It is black

So I have bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142341146615

2017-08-26_094548.jpg

Problem sorted

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I fitted one of those to my PC last week as I had run out of USB sockets and I had no USB 3 sockets on the front.

Excellent piece of kit for the price.

I bought mine from Amazon for £7.99 but I'm very happy with it.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Far be it from me to be in the unusual position of offering advice but, IF you have another USB port around the back of the case, you could just use a USB hub, and have a number of spare ports as well.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Good advice and certainly the way to go if I need more ports although I assume it would have to be a powered one

What I am trying to do is to get rid of as many permanently connected devices via wires as possible so when things are sorted the only wires connecting things to the back of the PC will be the wired keyboard (which I rather like), the wireless mouse, the monitor and the 5.1 speaker system.

In my case the use of the USB ports is minimal as the only USB connectors to it are couple of devices which get attached when used such as the camera (removing pictures) and the GPS (removing and loading tracks). Also now a USB 3.0 Flash Drive

There used to be a scanner but that was transferred to my better half's PC after the rebuild) and an electrical usage monitor (one of those which clips round the main power incomer) but that won't work when I go to Windows 10 as the software is absolutely buggy

I did wonder about surround sound headphones but I have no idea how well they work for gaming

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

I haven't had to use it for some time but, I used to have a Belkin hub (I haven't seen it for a while but I think it was 4 port) that didn't have a power supply, just plugged in a vacant USB port. A strategically placed Velcro pad attached it to the top of the case, easily removed if required.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.