Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to G.Vector?

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

What happened to G.Vector?

Not so long ago, G.Vector was being promised as Openreach's solution to improving FTTC speeds; although I gather actual implementation so far has been very limited, and confined to specific cabinets where cross-talk is a major problem. Now all the attention seems to be focused on G.Fast, although at the prices currently being quoted I can't see it appealing to many home users. So is G.Vector dead, or just dormant?

6 REPLIES 6
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: What happened to G.Vector?

Yes it seems BT/Openreach are pushing G.Fast as the next big thing. Vectoring does not appear to have much priority apart from some rural BDUK areas where vectoring has been enabled to get the "superfast"  % coverage up to the contracted figures. These would all be Huawei cabinets of course which support vectoring, ECI cabinets have big problems, G.INP not rolled out yet and I believe they need hardware changes to support vectoring so not much chance of it happening for them.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If I tried to get fibre from BT, it would be unavailable.

I assume the cabinet is 100% full & manages lots of crosstalk.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

ECI cabinets continue to cause problems

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/openreach-pause-plans-test-xdb-boost-uk-eci-fttc-broad...

Does G.vectoring have anything to do with Long Reach VDSL - I believe OR are continuing to work on that.

Brian

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Vectoring is essential on cabinets providing Long Reach VDSL2 - it's not so much about getting every last kbps on the longest lines, it's needed so that the long reach lines operating at higher power don't adversely affect the shorter lines operating at standard VDSL2 power levels.

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

Vectoring is great if they implement it.

I am a fair way from the cabinet that provides FTTC.

In April this year  got 40M down ( on a 40/2 profile) and my router said that I would get 42-45M down max. the SNR was 7.9.In August my SNR suddenly jumped to 16.5-16.7 and the router suggested I could get a download of 66+

I upgraded as an experiment to the 80/20 product and got ( using my Billion 8800NL router) download speeds around 74M.

See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/BT-Business-Hub-Strange-SNR-behaviour/m-p/1477871

for details

Mr-X

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

Yes it seems BT/Openreach are pushing G.Fast as the next big thing. Vectoring does not appear to have much priority apart from some rural BDUK areas where vectoring has been enabled to get the "superfast"  % coverage up to the contracted figures. These would all be Huawei cabinets of course which support vectoring, ECI cabinets have big problems, G.INP not rolled out yet and I believe they need hardware changes to support vectoring so not much chance of it happening for them.

indeed, TalkTalk have released their prices for G.Fast product.

150/30 - £36pm
300/50 - £42pm