Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean ?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What does this mean ?

My Toshiiba satelliite pro 12 inch laptop seems to be taking longer to "get going" from boot up.

Linux Mint 20.3 Una  installed and up to date

It is being held up by a black screen with the following white text

>>Checking Media Preesence.......

>>Media Present.....

>>Start PXE over IPV4.  

another long wait ( about 1 minute i think) and a quick flash of something about a server.. too quick to read, and too quick to get a photo of.

Another long wait before the Linux Mint logo shows up

Been doing this for a littl while, and I haen`t a clue as to what it means...

Any advice or help to understand what is going on

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: What does this mean ?

after a couple of reboots and trying... managed to get a decent pic of what was on the screen

boot up pxe server respnse.jpg

between1and16ch
Grafter

I'm guessing this started after you changed the BIOS secure boot setting to enable legacy boot? (or something similar). Have you tried changing the boot device order in the BIOS settings so that network devices are low on the order, or adjusting the network device setting in the BIOS to 'on' instead of 'on with pxe' (or similar)?
shutter
Community Veteran

Have not been messing with the bios, for as far back as I can remember !

current bios

bios 04 lan enabled.jpg

between1and16ch
Grafter

Hmmmm that is strange indeed! Does the boot device order have a network option in the list? If not, maybe try turning the network device off in the BIOS just to see if it makes a difference? (ETA; the built in LAN option?)
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

I'm guessing that your Toshiba didn't ship with Mint installed?

I suspect the error is because the expected secure boot medium (Windows?) isn't found. If that's the case it should be possible to adjust the BIOS boot sequence to avoid the diagnostic message.

shutter
Community Veteran

No, It did not ship with Linux Mint. However, this has only recently been happening, I have been running Linux on this machine for a few years now !. Alwayse was a very quick boot up with no messages or warnings.  Possinblitiy it is someihing to do with the most recent install of the latest version, but i cannot remember exactly when this started. as I don`t ofetn use this machine for daily used..( mostly when on hols  ) ..Just plug it in from time to time to do the updates, which normally takes about 10 minutes. then put it away again !.

I alos have a LAN problem, which after investigating all sorts of avenues, I am thinking that the Ethernet socket and circuitry has been damaged, by plugging in a USB ... silly place to put them so close togeyther ! ! .

Going to replace the USB/cardreader/Ethernet board when I get back from hols.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's trying to boot from a  server image over the network, that's what PXE Boot is.

You'll need to find the boot priority (or similar) settings in the BIOS and change them to move PXE down the list or remove it.

Probably little point in trying to figure out how it got enabled or prioritised.

It seems very unlikely that hardware damage or failure is a cause.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Disconnect all cables and remove laptop battery, then disconnect the CMOS battery if you know where it is. Then reconnect everything back up. It might fix things for you and it won’t cause any harm to the laptop.

If already tried, please ignore this message. Wink
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

@HPsauce  & @RPMozley  Thanks very much for the info...am on hols at the moment and doing a "fresh install" on a spare hdd just for summat to do!.

once I have done all the necessaryon that i`ll check out your posts again.

cheers

Happy new Year to both,  (and all my readers !!!! )

Smiley

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Disconnecting the CMOS battery isn't always that easy on a modern laptop, they can be a bit of a pig to get at!

That said, if @shutter is doing a fresh HDD install he's probably able to get inside it OK and find the battery. What vintage is it in fact?

Somehow I doubt a fresh OS install will help, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.....

shutter
Community Veteran

@HPsauce You could be right!  I have to remove the full underside panel.. there is a smaller one for accessing the memory and the hdd. Dont`t know how old the macine is... but it has a windows sticker on the base, which says Windoes 10 for refurb machines, and the inevitable product code.

I only done the fresh install, for "summat to do" really... it keeps me busy and helps with keep my brain active, trying to figure out what to do next, and what to do if it don`t work first time  hee hee.

Linux is like that... it either works first time, or you mess it up big time, and have to start again... Learning all the time ! ! ! ! .

Cheesy

shutter
Community Veteran

Update -  for what it`s worth !!

All systems go, on the new install of Mint 20.1   Getting WINE to install and active, was a real nightmare, normally goes smooth as silk, but this time it was horrible... eventually found the "right" page of instructions, and got it working... ( hint for those who MAY have problems with WINE not being recognised )..  open a terminal and enter  wincfg   then press the enter key.. you may have to wait for WINE Gecko to install, , then close down and re-boot Wine should then appear in the Main Menu listings. and as an "option" on "Open With - "

As for the message on starting the boot operation... only get Checking for media and then No media ( if no usb plugged in)  not a mention of PXE

so all is well with the world again ! !

cheers to all,

Happy New Year to all my readers.

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

@shutter wrote:

As for the message on starting the boot operation... only get Checking for media and then No media ( if no usb plugged in)  not a mention of PXE

Out of curiosity......what does efibootmgr tell you?

Output should be something like this:

$ efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 0 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0000
Boot0000* Solus Linux
Boot0002* PreLoader
Boot0003* UEFIShell
Boot0004* HDD1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Boot2001* EFI USB Device
Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM
Boot2003* EFI Network