Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website host recommendations

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Website host recommendations

My current host company is making a really good job of messing their systems up.

Spent most of Saturday & Sunday sorting out email configurations, working but there's frequent timeouts. Spent Monday sorting out missing web site and re-configuring FTP clients. Had enough, now looking to move four websites and a couple of dozen email addresses. The websites are basic html with very few changes made. I've browsed old similar topics but most the suggestions no longer exist. Thanks......

12 REPLIES 12
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Website host recommendations

I use https://www.tsohost.com/ 

UK based, and I've found them pretty good

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Thanks, they're the host I'm with and had no problem till recently. They're currently doing a location move and system upgrade and things are just not working as they should.

minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Ah - I'm still waiting my 'upgrade', so I may change my recommendation if it doesn't go well.  

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I use ecohosting for email and they've been very good when i needed support, respond in minutes to support requests. They're UK based and do have hosting plans https://www.ecohosting.co.uk/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@MisterW  Thanks they look very good with positive comments by existing customers.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, they still operate a ticket system and live chat for support. Looking back to my last support ticket, I raised it as 'high priority' and got a response in 7 minutes!, and it resolved the issue. Previous medium priortity tickets got responses in a couple of hours.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

Of course there is concern about the number of customers praising the customer and system support.

What sort of problems are people having.

Don’t answer it’s probably applies to all host companies….

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

IF your connection is fast enough and you don't mind having a machine on 24/7 you could always host those sites yourself.

I've had a few hosted on my PC before now - not at present but i have done in the past.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In my case, I think Ive had cause to contact 3 times in 2 years, none of which were actually affected my email service. I think the most critical one was when I transferred another domain in that was used elsewhere. The automated system didnt add the free DNS control component properly and I had to ask to get it added

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@7up wrote:

IF your connection is fast enough and you don't mind having a machine on 24/7 you could always host those sites yourself.

I currently have a website running in a VM in a server in the back bedroom, just collects internet connection stats but is viewed by many people all around the globe. I could move the others in-house (no pun intended) and set up an Exchange server to handle the emails, but at my time of life do I really want to do that and when something happens to me the Wife wouldn't have a clue what to do. So best to be an end user, pay a few quid a month and just make a phone call if things go wrong.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero

@MisterW  Migration in progress, thanks for the recommendation.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hope everything goes smoothly