cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak WiFi for Amazon Fire stick

kim99

Weak WiFi for Amazon Fire stick

Hi. Hope someone can help. I have the PlusNet Hub One the internet seems to be working well, Wifi reaches most places quite well except for the amazon firestick which is plugged into my tv. the tv is in the living room, on the same floor as the Hub One. I've split my 2.4 and 5.0 wifi signals. iPhones and iPads connect to the 2.4 and the amazon connects to the 5.0. The wifi signal picked up by the amazon fire stick is weak for both signals ( but strangely the phones have good wifi signal even when next to the tv). I tried using an old wifi extender, TPlink RE200 v1.1. It connects ok using the WPS button but then somehow loses Internet connection even when the Plusnet Hub One light is blue. I can't seem to connect to tplink web browser to setup and I cant use the tether app either.

so. i'm wondering if my wifi extender is old and therefore faulty?

should I but a new wifi extender?

should I buy a new modem router to replace the hub one?

thanks for any help and suggestions

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Weak WiFi for Amazon Fire stick

@kim99 

A hub with improved wireless might help but if other wireless devices work in the same location it might be another cause.

Wireless devices work best when they are not installed close to other devices that produce electromagnetic fields. A TV does. Your Firestick presumable plugs directly in to the TV HDMI socket, so is very close to the TV electronics?

I had this problem with a firestick and my solution was to connect it via an Ethernet cable, although this might not be practicable in your case. Another option is to try plugging the Firestick into an HDMI male to female axtension lead and see if moving it away from the TV works. They aren't expensive see https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Female-Extension-Cable-Black/dp/B01D5H91KE?th=1

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kim99

@Baldrick1 

Thanks very much for this suggestion; sounds a simple solution. I’ll definitely try this. I’ll let you know if it helps. 

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

@Baldrick1 

Do modern flat screens (which @kim99 probably has) produce electromagnetic fields?

Unlike those CRT sets I'm not so sure they do.

Not much help to kim99 but my firestick has no problem with picking up that wifi. Maybe doing a reset helps either via the handset (press and hold the Back button and the right directional button) or by unplugging the firestick from the wall as that seems to get rid of all sorts of glitches. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@Minivanman 

Flat screen TVs are digital and like all digital devices they are constantly switching at high speeds. The EMI that they produce is readily detectable and can interfere with other devices. They also have switching power supplies.

I agree that emissions are far less severe than with old style CRTs with their line oscillators that were detectable in the next street, but they are still there.

In addition devices plugged in to the rear of a TV tend to be screened behind the TV electronics chassis, which can further degrade WiFi reception.

I am not saying that this is the problem here, but an extension cable is a relatively cheap way to see if it helps with signal level.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'