Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINE on Android Tablet problem

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

WINE on Android Tablet problem

I recently found out that it "should" be possible to run Windows (.exe) files on Android, by installing the relevant version of WINE

as detailed on this page..

https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/running-windows-apps-on-android-devices-wine-3/

so.. I want to run a special program called CWCOM  which gives me "morse over the internet". and I use this quite successfully on Linux Mint 20 ( and have done since about Mint 10 ). with the current version of WINE .

Downloaded and installed WINE 4.11 as indicated for my Android 4.2 o.s.   Re-booted the tablet after download and install was complete..

found the app in the apps list...

clicked on "Launch"...

after a while of "extracting files"...

a small window appeared with the statement

" Unfortunately, Wine has stopped"... 

OK...

( Well, no it`s not.. ok... ) but you have to accept that to get rid of the window...

Apparently, there are two versions of wine for each version depending on the processor   x86 or arm... the processor on my tablet  Lenovo ideatab A3000-H is arm.. and the spec is

Platform     O.S.   android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)  upgradable to 4.2 ( Jelly Bean) 
Chipset Mediatek MT8125 (28nm)
CPU QUADCORE 1.2GHZ CORTEX-A7
GPU PowerVR SGX5

I have been told that the processor A7 is arm... so I have got the right download/install..

Wine for Android 4.11 (arm) (Android 4.2+)

On the download and save window it suggests         "open with      Open JDK Java 11 Runtime ( default )" ...  

( I actually saved it to my downloads, and then transferred it to usb stick, for installation on the tablet )

Not sure if that applies to tablet, of if I have JDK Java 11 installed....

According to one write up, the download should automatically start to install after download due to the existence on the tablet of APK installer...  ? ? ? 

Has anyone any ideas why it does not work for me.

7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: WINE on Android Tablet problem

As there's no ARM version of CWCOM you won't be able to run it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran

CWCOM works on Windows, from Win 95 to present .  It also works on Linux and MAC through WINE... which "simulates" a windows environment. . Many other (.exe ) windows type programs also run on LINUX and MAC through wine.

In effect.. WINE is similar to a VirtualBox environment methinks. 

The problem seems to be something with the download and install/extracting part of the install of WINE ...which produces the "Wine has stopped" message... which happens before CWCOM is executed. 

WINE 4.11 is showing in the Apps listing...but does not show up when trying to execute CWCOM with the normal "opens with" dialogue.

As an aside... taking the last but one paragraph forward... no other (.exe) windows type programs would be able to run as the "opens with" dialogue would be the same for them...

Therefore I don`t think it is a problem with CWCOM.

dvorak

You're missing something important shutter, there are differing chip architectures - x86 and ARM.
The vast majority of Windows machines are x86 (Intel / AMD chips for example) whereas most phones and tablets are ARM.
The instruction sets for these machines are not compatible so an x86 windows application, such as your morse code one, will not run natively on ARM architecture.
The full version of windows 11 for ARM does provide a translation layer, but the Android WINE version does not.
In the article you linked read this paragraph:

"As most of us own a device powered by an ARM CPU, we can only run WinRT apps using Wine on Android. "
CWCOM is not WinRT.

Bluntly, it will not work.

Customer / Moderator
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... If that is so.... 

why does it say "Wine has stopped"   before the .exe file has been executed ?

dvorak

Dunno, could be a device specific crash ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Customer / Moderator
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

In effect.. WINE is similar to a VirtualBox environment methinks. 

No it isnt. VirtualBox provides a virtual machine in which the 'real' operating system and applications run just as though they were on real hardware. Wine is an application which runs the Windows.exe and provides a 'doctored' set of windows libraries which fool the application into believing its running on windows.

In your case it sounds like (as @dvorak says ) the Wine application itself is crashing. Your Android version is very old, that could well be part of the problem. Ive never tried Wine on Android (didnt even know it existed!) so dont really have much idea of why it might not be working.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shutter
Community Veteran

@MisterW  Yes, I agree, it sounds like the WINE version is crashing, before the actual chance to execute the (.exe) file.

As for the Android version being "old"  .. not really a problem,... as CWCOM was written for w9f and ran on Wine 1.3 when I first started playing with it, on LInux Mint 8... many years ago !... it also runs on all versions since, ... right up to the current version WINE 6.2

The download page gives the "correct version" of Wine to download for Android 4.2 as Wine 4.11 ...