cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD Mybook World Edition II - Blue Lights : Lost CD

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

WD Mybook World Edition II - Blue Lights : Lost CD

Ah, Ive ended up with one of those NAS WD World Editions (Blue rings, 2tb) without a CD. Bought four years ago for £335 ( I think) then I left it in the loft for some reason, and never ventured to set it up.
Pulled it out yesterday thinking 'Yes, this is the day I set it up' and then things went downhill from there.
CD was in the box, no manuals, just the CD & the hdd. Hooked it up, it made some noise, vibrated like mad, then settled down.
I stuck the cd in the laptop, and suprise suprise, it didnt work. Pulled it out, looked at it and then saw the bottom base had decided to go mentally nutcase and come off the CD. End of CD  Sad
Im kind of stuck without it, so if anyone has one of these with the CD's, (its 250-300meg) can someone upload it to somewhere, OR copy and send it to me? (I shall pay for it via Paypal if required)
Or does anyone know HOW i can set this up without the CD? I have no clue at all!
Thanks, Aman.
8 REPLIES 8
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: WD Mybook World Edition II - Blue Lights : Lost CD

Don't know whether or not this link will help, but it might be worth a look.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=118&sid=115&lang=en
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Purleigh,
Many thanks for the update - didn't read the post properly.
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: Mr
Don't know whether or not this link will help, but it might be worth a look.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=118&sid=115&lang=en

Ah, the whitelight version. I tried the ISO yesterday. Got me pretty much nowhere.

Purleigh;
Ive had a look at that, What I really need is the disk! None of the programs link up the MioNet to the WD - Only thing ive got the WD working for is 1.78tb of storage on my network. I was ideally hoping for MioNet to work too, so I can access my stuff from pretty much anywhere.
Ive contacted WD to see what they say, I dont think they can help, unless I get someone helpful at their CS or Support area.

I need that CD man!  Cry
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I miss that you wanted 'MioNet' ?   Huh
Just Googling 'MioNet' brings up the Mionet website where you can get the latest Windows download   Crazy
However, I have setup loads of similar internet sharing drives similar to these and I now NEVER use the setup CD as it is usually simple enough to setup manually, with the bonus of not having yet another program draining Windows resources unnecessarily.
The only thing you actually need is to setup a 'MioNet' account to create a username and password, then the rest looks straightforward enough.   Wink
There a loads of people (from Google searches) who have done the manual setup on Linux and Mac, that have posted the details of how to do it - because there is no 'MioNet' software for those platforms.   Smiley
There are also lots of people who have tried the 'MioNet' software who say that is is a waste of time and unstable, so have removed it and now use manual configuration as it is much more reliable.   Cool
Because you WD machine is years old - you SHOULD (before you try installing any system or MioNet software) update the FIRMWARE to the latest revision, as it appears that lots of bugs have been resolved since the first release !
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

This is going to sound SO, SO SOO stupid, but I cant find the firmware update.
People told me that it has an update, googled it, couldnt find it. I got bored, went walking, ended up forgetting all about it.
Would you possibly know where to download the firmware?  Embarrassed  Im used to dealing with these things, but the WD has completley stumped me.
I could manage the whole thing via the web interface, BUT its amazingly slow to load, and basicilly rubbish.

Ah, I tried that MioNet, I would either need to access the web interface (MISSION IMPOSSIBLE - ITS THAT SLOW) or use the CD (Which is half in the bin, half in my optical drive of my laptop in tiny pieces)

EDIT:
I got the Webinterface working! Currentley downloading new software.
I feel so proud. LOL
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=Amanha]Im used to dealing with these things, but the WD has completley stumped me.
Really !  Undecided - when links to the firmware can be accessed from the links I posted earlier  Crazy
I can't tell you which though because YOU need to check the EXACT model number of YOUR drive, and possibly need to know the existing firmware revision (as FLASH updates are sometimes two stage, where you might need an incremental upgrade to get a stable starting point, and then a second upgrade to the latest release)   Roll_eyes
[quote=Amanha]the whole thing via the web interface, BUT its amazingly slow to load
On drives like this, usually if the web interface is slow then the desktop software is often no better because of the underpowered processor being used - hence the complaints everywhere on the net !   Cry
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
[quote=Amanha]Im used to dealing with these things, but the WD has completley stumped me.

Really !  Undecided - when links to the firmware can be accessed from the links I posted earlier  Crazy

I had a look, but never saw any firmware updates for that one. Only the whitelights one.

But, me being me, I started shouting at the mybook and it all worked.  Crazy Web interface speeded up like anything, and I was able to download the software via the web interface
I still need the flipping CD though. Annoying but usuable.