cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN not working

thisandthat

VPN not working

I have recently moved to PlusNet (and are using the Plusnet router) and have had a working VPN up until the the SafeGuard software kicked in.

I have switched off Safeguard and rebooted the router and now I can access sites that SafeGuard blocked, however my VPN still will not work!!

Any clues on how to get this working via the router?

Cheers.

8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: VPN not working

Try "Windscribe"    either as a Firefox add-on.... or you can download it.

There is an initial limit of 2GB usage per month .... or if you "register"  ( it`s free ) .. they give you 10GB per month.. and renew it automatically at the end of the period..

If that works... then maybe it is a setting in you existing VPN. conflicting with the router settings.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Plusnet have several routers in use. I have the "Hub One" which I think is their current offering... so if you've got the same one then:

screenshot-1001

You MUST have both ports - PPTP and the shiva VPN. I did try with just just PPTP but it didn't work until i set Shiva (and didn't work without PPTP).

You'll need to set the IP address of the device you want to set the VPN to - obviously unless it's the same as mine don't use 192.168.1.2 lol but the IP of the device you are targeting.

Also log into your plusnet control panel - http://portal.plus.net the last time i checked and disable the firewall on your account (they kinda forget to tell you about that - was chaos when they randomly turned it on years ago)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
thisandthat

Thank you @7up that is something that I can look at, as I have the same router I believe.

The thing that I am struggling with (due to my limited knowledge) is how to get on to the router to see those settings.

I have the admin password but I am not sure of the IP address of the router or how to find this out. I have checked my documentation but cannot find this.

Doing an ipconfig I can see the default gateway, that is not the same thing?

Sorry for being a bit dense on this!!

7up
Community Veteran

Unless you've changed it manually, then the router your default gateway address.

In our case it's http://192.168.1.254 for our hub one - I'm assuming others will be the same too.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@thisandthat  are you just using a VPN client or are you trying to run a VPN server ?

The details that @7up  posted are ONLY needed if you are trying to run a VPN server on your local network

If it's just a VPN client , then which client is it and to which server are you trying to connect ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thisandthat

Hi @MisterW and @7up 

I believe that I am using a client. 

I am using a VPN provided by "Private Internet Access" which I downloaded and installed when I purchased the service from them.

When the software starts normally it usually connects to a London server, although there is one in Southampton as well as others around Europe, the Americas etc.

In Program Data I found a JSON file with all the server IP addresses and ports for many countries.

7up
Community Veteran

Ah so you're making an OUTBOUND connection from your computer to an external VPN server... In that case ignore my previous advice - I thought you were running a VPN server and trying to connect into your home network - sorry!

thisandthat

@7up appreciate you coming back.

I have however fixed it last night!!!

Last weekend I switched off the firewall on the router - no joy

I then switched on port clamping - no joy

So  I went for the nuclear option and uninstalled the software from my laptop last night.

I then re-installed the software and hey presto it started to work.

So this weekend I will turn off port clamping and switch on the firewall and see if it will work after that.

Thanks to you and @MisterW for taking the time to help.