cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the telephony features on the Fritz!Box 7530?

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Using the telephony features on the Fritz!Box 7530?

Indeed - badly worded on my part. I just meant the use of the analogue phone on it really, and distribution around the house but I won't be actively rip it out. 

grandad
Grafter
Fixes: 2

@MJN 
hi

I appreciate that this thread is a couple of months old now, but having read through, I realise that I am in the same situation as yourself in that I’ve just purchased a Fritzbox 7530 from a ZEN Internet customer who had no use for their “standard” router. as such, it’s unused.

Initially I’m not looking to touch the telephony features and appreciate it’s not as simple as plugging a standard analogue phone in and getting results!

I’ve purchased the 7530 for a few reasons - the main one is the availability of a guest network facility which the Plusnet router doesn’t offer.

Did you have any issues or can you give me any pointers for a successful/basic setup? 
Thanks

MJN
Pro

Hi @Grandpa 

Yes, I've been using my Fritzbox for six months or so now and have been really pleased with it. Seems rock solid, feature packed and regularly updated. I don't recall anything fancy with my installation setup so I can't think of anything to suggest really!

I haven't really done anything on the voice side since my first post, and whilst I thought I'd be going down the VoIP route I can't really see that happening anymore - my wife and I always have our mobiles on us so I don't think we'd require anything else now that most people have calls to mobiles included in their call plans. I tried the Fritz phone app (on Android) but it was rather poor if I'm honest - looked *really* dated.

grandad
Grafter

@MJN 

Just what I wanted to hear - many thanks.
Hopefully I’m not going to be facing too many issues as all I’m looking to do is to set up a solid internet connection, a stronger WiFi signal & guest network.

Thanks again 

MJN
Pro

It should be perfect for that. I do like the guest network feature - I know it is fairly common these days but I've never had it before and so was previously forever giving my main wifi password out to all and sundry which didn't feel quite right.

grandad
Grafter

@MJN 

Thanks again.

Couldn’t agree with you more about giving/refusing to give my WiFi password. Family is one thing, but when it’s an engineer visit and they need WiFi because of a poor mobile signal here, it becomes a different issue.

Hopefully now, I can banish all those worries!

Possibly a bit of an over-reaction, but I’ve also not been keen to connect any device which doesn’t have security software running. So things like my TV have never been connected. That can all change now.

Thanks again.

Janesdroid

What I like about the FritzBox router, is the availability of regular software updates. 

My past experience with other routers is always been the lack off updates! Forcing you to purchase another box because it doesn’t have the latest security patches etc. 

Therefore my one piece of advice is to update it’s software before delving into the settings!

I personally don’t use the guest account, as most of my gear (TV, NAS box) is on the Ethernet network. The only bits using the wireless network, is the printer and my iPads.

Just my two cents...

grandad
Grafter

@Janesdroid 

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Good advice re updating the software/firmware. I've no idea how long the router has been in the box, so I'll look to do this first.

Thanks again.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Wish I had spotted this thread before as I was looking to attach a landline phone to the fritzbox and this covers everything I needed to know…..In my case.  Leave well alone.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Don't you fancy having a play with VoIP @gleneagles ?

You've got the main hardware, all you need is a spare phone to plug in to your Fritz!Box (either corded or a DECT base station), and it's easier than you may be thinking!

You could get a free Sipgate account as described in this post, and you'd be sorted in no time!