Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 2704n router to extend WiFi

FIXED
elbowpipe
Hooked

Using 2704n router to extend WiFi

Hello,

I acquired the above to extend wifi to our self-catering chalet, and initially when cabled to laptop got the Plusnet Manager page OK. Then I think my mistake was to click on the ADSL/Fibre button (because our Plusnet Hub One is connected to fibre). The 2704n rebooted and thereafter on entering 192.168.1.254 I only get the Admin page for the Plusnet Hub One. 

Actually I'm getting an internet connection OK in the Chalet but would like to be able to administer the 2704n router. Any advice? Also is this a WAP or Extender config at present?

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Using 2704n router to extend WiFi

@elbowpipe  Welcome to the forum.

You need to change the settings to use the Hub into an Access Point see. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Turning-a-Hub-Zero-into-an-Access-Point/m-p/1687008

Edit

Reading again through your post I’m not at all sure how it is set. If it is not in ADSL mode you will lose the use of the LAN port used as WAN with fibre.  However if 192.168.1.254 is giving you access to the Hub One then it is working correctly as a WAP, this is because you will have changed the Hub Zero IP address when you converted it to a WAP. See steps 13-16 in the linked post.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

elbowpipe
Hooked

I didn't configure the IP at all. My steps were:

1) factory reset using a pin.

2) cabled from laptop to slot 4 on 2704n

3) On the 2704n's Manager page I pressed the ADSL/Fibre button and selected "Fibre" (was this a mistake?)

4) connected the ethernet cable from Plusnet Hub One to slot 4

That's all I've done. It seems like a happy accident its working and appears to be in WAP mode.

I'd still like to get into the 2704n's manager page again though.

Baldrick1

@elbowpipe 

This will have left you with double NAT and two networks, which can cause problems. If it works for you then that’s fine, personally I would configure it properly. 

If it’s in fibre mode then as I posted earlier, you will lose access to one of the four LAN ports.

Moderator and Customer

elbowpipe
Hooked

How to configure it properly though? I've tried factory reset again, but cannot gain access to the 2704n manager, (which I assume I need to do) so I'm stuck unless I can do something from the Hub One manager? Possibly?

Baldrick1

@elbowpipe 

Go to the link I included in message 2 above and you will get the instructions. Note that there is a small update in message 3 on this other thread.

Moderator and Customer

elbowpipe
Hooked

I did that.  Followed the instructions (after factory reset) 

1. Connect the Hub Zero directly to the computer, preferably using an Ethernet cable.
  2. Enter the following into the address field (not search if you have a separate search box) //192.168.1.254

This brought up the Plusnet Hub One admin page. I tried deleting my cache history but that didn't help. I see on my 'Home Network' that 'Lan 1' is connected to 192.168.1.10 but if I enter this on my browser I get "this site can't be reached". I feel factory reset isn't being done. If it was successful I'm sure I would get access to the 2704n admin screen.

Baldrick1

Fix

@elbowpipe 

To factory reset you need to keep the switch closed for 29-30 seconds. Are you sure that you're disconnected from the hub one? Simple test is can you still get on the internet? If yes maybe you have another wireless connection.

Moderator and Customer

elbowpipe
Hooked

I had read somewhere to hold for 7 seconds. Held for 30 and it factory reset and I followed your instructions after that. All good! Thanks for your help.