cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

markrogers11

Upgrade

I bought sky glass. The internet check said not enough speed. Needed Wi-Fi 6 ?? Not a clue phoned plusnet. Was told needed to pay £106. To get hub two. Has anyone else had this issue? I’m not happy having to pay out when thought had enough speed for most things.
11 REPLIES 11
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Upgrade

You've posted in the ADSL  forum, if you really only have ADSL  and not Fibre then Sky Glass is never going to work well no matter how good your WiFi is. As to needing WiFi 6, that's complete rubbish. A decent 5ghz wifi connection is going to be fine as long as you have a good Internet connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@markrogers11 

As WiFi 6 is only just coming to market it's unlikely to be manditory in any products using WiFi.

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

markrogers11

Hi thanks for reply.  I’m a bit long in tooth to understand all these acronyms about technology. I did understand the check on my internet. I know done by sky but as told them I’m not leaving plusnet. I went online read some reviews they seeem to agree the best way was to get an upgraded router. I asked plusnet for help. I did not expect to pay £106. I thought maybe postage and return old hub.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@markrogers11 

Checking the spec of the device it does support a wired connection which would bypass the need for fast WiFi.

However you still need the minimum broadband speed.

Dan.

markrogers11

Hi Mister W. I’ve got fibre whatever it is, I don’t know what adsl is? Sky glass now on wall working well with this hub 2 router. I bout a cat8 Ethernet cable?  as advised by a forum person. Thanks for your help. I was just shocked by £106 price tag. 
thanks Mark

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@markrogers11 

You had

Dial up internet

ADSL - where the DSL equipment is in your local Exchange. Speed is dependent on line length.

FTTC (VDSL). The DSL equipment is moved to a cabinet beside your PSTN cabinet. Distances are greatly reduced and hence speed improves.

FTTC g.Fast - a variation on FTTC but only really works when you're within a couple of hundred meters from the cabinet.

FTTP - pure fibre. Your copper connection is replaced with a fibre optic cable. Distance is no problem,

A Cat 5e cable is usually more than enough for domestic use. Cat 6 can be used but is less flexible. Cat 7 & 8 is getting into the realms of data centres where large amounts of data need to be moved with speed).

Brian

markrogers11

Thanks for info. So I should have no problems. The Ethernet cable all very similar in price. Assumed higher the number the better.

I know assumption a dangerous thing. But all seems ok. 🤞

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This from the linked to Sky forum is all too telling...

"6 years of supporting Q which has its own wifi issues has taught me that Sky marketing live in a different world with different laws of physics to me and incidentally their own engineers who, off the record, are even more critical.

That is why I and the other forum superusers have been advising use of ethernet cables, powerline adapters and wifi mesh systems which both cost money and require some work from the customer but do work. "

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

You've got to admire the marketing though.. you can just imagine the Sky Glass pitch at an internal meeting

Listen , we can get rid of all the problems with maintaining those pesky satellites. We can just stream our services through all the other ISPs bandwidth. Oh and by the way we can make a fortune renting TV's to people at exhorbitant rates.