Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking the potential of Sagemcom 2704N

bjt

Re: Unlocking the potential of Sagemcom 2704N

Quote from: Matty123123
cheers guys/gals.

Hi Matty, I've been following what you've done, I have a V2 router and installed v3B of your firmware, I read that you no longer recommend this firmware vs the new official one? Why is that? Also, what is the easiest way to roll back to version 7.275.2 as I can't see the download anywhere? Can I update to the older official firmware, then have TR069 update it to the latest?
Matty123123
Grafter

Hello, I recommended not to use this firmware because Its based on ver1 (7.273.1) not ver2 (other+).  And I'm "assuming" the ver2 probably has a more stable DSL connection.
I can not find a download for any Plusnet 2704n firmware.  This looks like it might have it, but I can not guess what the correct html page is.
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/2704n/???something???
Also, it appears that the firmware might need adjusting before its uploaded to the router...
If anyone does manage to guess the correct page... please post it  Smiley Smiley Smiley
I have tried that idea, I downgrade to the stock firmware and left TR069 on for 1 day and it did not work for me.  However, for all I know they probably blocked me (so I don't play about with there software again)  but it might work for you?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Matty, nice to see you back here.There is no download available for any 2704n firmware from Plusnet (despite my request some considerable while ago for it to be made available). The page you were thinking of (which I won't post here as it may confuse) is for the previous Plusnet modem/routers.
I had no trouble whatsoever with the v1 firmware as far as DSL stability was concerned, it was excellent (3km line).
The v2 firmware is even more locked down, and you can't get a text config from it to play with. I don't see any reason why people shouldn't continue (at their own risk of course) to use your modified firmware.
The only point to note (that I'm aware of) is that the TR-069 will be expecting to find the version number, identification etc and serial number exactly as it was when issued, otherwise TR-069 won't work. Is TR-069 not working such a big deal?
Of course anyone who alters the firmware from that as supplied by Plusnet cannot necessarily expect any firmware upgrade that Plusnet might push in the future, to work.
In the past Plusnet have not pushed firmware upgrades out to the wider customer base, but strangely they have recently done so for the TG582n with some rather annoying (to say the least) consequences for unsuspecting and unknowledgeable customers, so I don't think they are likely to do it again in a hurry without being considerably more careful!
@bjt
Hi there and welcome to the forum. Unless Matty comes back with something definitive, if your current performance with his firmware is ok, then I wouldn't worry about it. Stay as you are.
Matty123123
Grafter

Hmm, I've got nothing definitive to add.  Just some comments...
"plus-payh.co.uk" - is owned by Plus-net.  And there is definitely a directory called "/2704n/".  I was just guessing what the firmware name could be (based off the other TG58* files already there)
...If the new version 2 does not increase stability, then I hope it fixes some security flaws ?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well the /2704n/ directory is obviously not accessible if it has anything useful in it at all.
This is what I was told
The only difference in the newer version of the firmware is that the MTU is set to 1492 out of the box and there is a system log that’s been removed, nothing more substantial.

Whatever that log was, and whatever got removed it prevented a download of the text config.
bjt

Quote from: Matty123123
Hello, I recommended not to use this firmware because Its based on ver1 (7.273.1) not ver2 (other+).  And I'm "assuming" the ver2 probably has a more stable DSL connection.
I can not find a download for any Plusnet 2704n firmware.  This looks like it might have it, but I can not guess what the correct html page is.
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/2704n/???something???
Also, it appears that the firmware might need adjusting before its uploaded to the router...
If anyone does manage to guess the correct page... please post it  Smiley Smiley Smiley
I have tried that idea, I downgrade to the stock firmware and left TR069 on for 1 day and it did not work for me.  However, for all I know they probably blocked me (so I don't play about with there software again)  but it might work for you?

Thanks for the quick reply! So, I installed your 3B firmware then saw your comment that you didn't recommend it so decided I'll try and roll it back. I installed the stock version 1 firmware then changed the serial number and MAC back to the original, called Plusnet yesterday afternoon and asked if they could push out the new firmware, and about 2 minutes ago it just updated back to 7.275.2. So gone full circle. I guess now I know the old firmware isn't much different, maybe I'll go back to yours again! Cheesy Might be useful to know for someone?
Matty123123
Grafter

ooooh, can you do a dump of the expert-user main page details.  Just to see if the DSL version & Bootloader version have changed

EDIT:
P.S. I'm impressed with the plusnet staff.  Normally I do not bother to phone companies with technical questions.
bjt

Yes, they were very efficient! I've checked and the boot loader is the old version, but the firmware is the newer version. Do you think this matters?
[Moderator's note by Dick (Strat):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]

Matty123123
Grafter

Cheers,  the boot-loader version does not make any difference at all.  The kernel will change any basic settings it makes.
I was just curious... because my firmware attempts needed to rewrite the boot-loader, which I did not want to do.  And I wanted to know if a remote update changed it  (normally it should not).
It appears the Wireless & DSL drivers don't change.
I think I might update my router when I fix my main computer again.  (P.S. don't buy MSI motherboards, its my 3rd one now)
Fernando

Matty 123123 I'm from Brazil and installed the firmware on my modem's that Sagemcom 2704n is working fine, but I wonder how I can return to the original firmware from my ISP? Thank you in advance !!!

Matty123123
Grafter

Hello, Sorry I have no idea how to do that.

Can you provide a link to the firmware from your ISP?   I'll have a look to see if its possible.

Fernando

I figured out how to go back !!! For this I installed the above by open-wrt firmware of your and from it could install any firmware, including my ISP firmware, thank you anyway !!!
Matty123123
Grafter

good thinking, well done

emicsmi

Can adblock be added to the Sagemcom using either openwrt or by updating to the sagemcom firmware?  which version would work best?

Matty123123
Grafter

adblock, naaa... The closest to an adblock (on the plusnet firmware) would be to add website blocks like ".ads.", ".facebook.co", ".amazon.co".

Dont bother with openwrt.