cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking the potential of Sagemcom 2704N

brueton
Grafter

Re: Unlocking the potential of Sagemcom 2704N

Lines I added for ssh, you should change the username and password.
    <X_BROADCOM_COM_AppCfg>
      <SshdCfg>
        <NetworkAccess>LAN</NetworkAccess>
      </SshdCfg>
    </X_BROADCOM_COM_AppCfg>
    <SshControl>
      <Enable>TRUE</Enable>
      <UserName>username</UserName>
      <Password>password</Password>
    </SshControl>

I added them just before the final two lines in the config file.
The end of which now reads:
      </SystemIniCFG>
   </X_SAGEM_COM>
   <X_BROADCOM_COM_AppCfg>
     <SshdCfg>
       <NetworkAccess>LAN</NetworkAccess>
     </SshdCfg>
   </X_BROADCOM_COM_AppCfg>
   <SshControl>
     <Enable>TRUE</Enable>
     <UserName>username</UserName>
     <Password>password</Password>
   </SshControl>
 </InternetGatewayDevice>
</DslCpeConfig>

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks for putting that up PeteB.
I've not had a go at that yet, will look over it tomorrow as the kids are home at their pc's now.
Edit: Remove text

Edit:2
ssh all working fine and dandy.
ichayan

Hello Experts,
I have been following this thread since I switched to plusnet. This thread was very helpful. With the customised firmware I was able to do many advanced settings. I need some help for me to use this in bridge mode.
I have purchased this router http://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD and want to use it with my plusnet ADSL connection. I was thinking of getting a Draytek vigor 120 or 130 adsl modem. If I can use 2704n as a modem then I could save some money.
I would like your advice on few things. I edited the running config and loaded the new settings. when I inspected the leds, power broadband were lit and internet led was off. I power cycled the router and everything came back as it was originally configured.
How do I keep the modem setting permanent?
Once it is converted to bridge how do I connect to the device again (will it work via the 192.168.1.254)?
Would it be better to keep this device in dmz than pure modem? (I have plan to configure VPN so that I can connect to my home network for safe browsing and to get to iplayer when abroad. Also I want to use VPN for private browsing.
Please advise
jdean

Can I ask if anyone has tried deploying the standard Sagecome 2704 V2.6.29 to the plus net router?
The only issue I can see is that the firmware flash is from UAE
http://support.sagemcom.com/site/mo/broadband-access-9/sagemcom-f-st-2704-etisalat-1035/driver

Also with  Matty123123 customised plus.net fimrware Revision 3-A:
https://drive.google.com/...Ln6UubyEeeEtPMEZzUTB2bDg/

I noticed on the readme it said
The Serial Number & MAC Address are stored in the CFE.  If you change it... you might want to have a serial connection handy, incase you miss-calculate the CRC32.
The question is, do I need to do anything. I'm assuming that after flashing I can just use the router or do I need to mod the MAC and serial number?
veremit

Just got set up with Plusnet Fibre with the BT Openreach modem and the Plusnet/Sagemcom 2704N.
I tried to get the SSH 'patch' to the config working, but it keeps temporarily 'bricking' my router. Fortunately, if I only try it once, I can reset the router by powering off/on again .. but try a couple of times and it seems to screw the firmware .. have had to Reset to Factory Default once already .. !!
Here is the top section from my 'Helpdesk' page with serial blanked ..
1 - Product name: 	Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number: Nxxxxxxxxxxx
3 - Firmware version: 7.273.1_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode Fibre
[br]
Any ideas?
What I'd really like, is to be able to set up 'Virtual Servers' to a couple of machines running on the other side of a wireless bridge router I've got set up with dd-wrt, but since the secondary router's clients don't show up on the primary router (ie. the plusnet/sagemcom) I can't select them in the crude 'port forward' page. I'm sure this is possible, and I'll tackle it using iptables on the SSH/busybox side of the sagemcom, but I still need to get into the damn thing to set it up. Alternatively, if anyone knows how to 'patch' the config with relevant Virtual Server configs .. it would be much appreciated.
Quick layout sketch:-
[tt][BT modem] --> [Plusnet router] ^^^^^^^^^^ [d-link dd-wrt router] +--> [pc1]
                                                                  +--> [pc2]
                                                                  +--> [pc3]
[/tt]
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi ichayan, jdean & veremit, and welcome if on your first visit to the forum.
@ichayan
I don't know why it's not holding the bridge mode as I haven't tried it, but what you could try is a reboot first before considering a power cycle, but are you sure it actually accepted the updated config, was it error free?
@jdean
You really need an answer from Matty123123. I thought I saw something that said the amount of memory in this thing had been cut so that maybe an issue for the UAE firmware, I don't really know. Unbricking it could be a bit hairy.
@veremit
If your updated config has an error, it wouldn't surprise me that you got the results you did. The firmware seems a bit buggy so it locking up is no surprise. I've managed to get it to lock up whilst doing very basic things. You need more of an expert to address the other part of your query.
Hopefully Matty123123 and Darsh will come along with some bright ideas.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi veremit,
What I'd really like, is to be able to set up 'Virtual Servers' to a couple of machines running on the other side of a wireless bridge router I've got set up with dd-wrt, but since the secondary router's clients don't show up on the primary router (ie. the plusnet/sagemcom) I can't select them in the crude 'port forward' page.
That's odd!, if dd-wrt is acting as a wireless bridge ( client bridge mode ) then the PN router should be allocating IP addresses to the dd-wrt's clients and so they should show up on the PN routers client list. Can you check that DHCP is disabled on dd-wrt ? , it should be automatically when client bridge mode is selected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Matty123123
Grafter

@ichayan, yeah Im sure the 2704N should suit for needs for a modem. It sounds like you manualy changed the settings?. may I suggest uploading the config attached below. (also on a previous post)
VPN fun..... with a different router I have setup a iplayer VPN inside the router.  But I would not recommend doing it with this plusnet router.  Your RB951G-2HnD looks like a powerful beast - so I'm assuming your using the VPN on that router?
Also - Yes, you can access the router with 192.168.1.254 in any mode (luckly).  I'm guessing you will need to add an additional ip-route on the RB951G-2HnD to direct the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet to the plusnet router.
@jdean, That firmware uses a different SoC Chip, its very very similar but different.  At a guess..... I think the Ethernet + Web Interface will work, the Wireless might work (with an extra file) but the ADSL will not.  So I dont think its worth the effort.
However, I have managed to get the TD-W8960N firmware working.  (Tested for fun, but I have not done any long tests)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4-Ln6UubyEeZTF2MFZvQmhoRlk/   (But you will need a Serial Port to get the original firware back on, I think) (Original firmware can be restored by writing to the mtdblock via telnet)
Regarding the MAC/Serial info:  Dont worry,  I only wrote that for complete-ness.  It does not matter if your are using Plusnet Broadband.
ichayan

Hi Matty,
I completed the configuration, the problem I had was because I left the last line in the running-config (http://192.168.1.254/dumpcfgdynamic.cmd)  "Dump bytes allocated=163840 used=34147" at the bottom" once it was removed and uploaded and it is working as expected.
http://routerboard.com/RB951G-2HnD, this seems a beast for £50 the routeros is impressive, the manual here if anyone interested.
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:TOC
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Thanks for replying Matty.
@ichayan, well done for mentioning the last line of the text config file "Dump bytes allocated=163840 used=......." something I also realised myself when I did it a while back. It's something easily overlooked and needs to be emphasised that it needs to be deleted (and any blank lines preceding/following it IIRC). I don't know if veremit encountered that problem.
veremit

Quote from: MisterW
Hi veremit,
What I'd really like, is to be able to set up 'Virtual Servers' to a couple of machines running on the other side of a wireless bridge router I've got set up with dd-wrt, but since the secondary router's clients don't show up on the primary router (ie. the plusnet/sagemcom) I can't select them in the crude 'port forward' page.
That's odd!, if dd-wrt is acting as a wireless bridge ( client bridge mode ) then the PN router should be allocating IP addresses to the dd-wrt's clients and so they should show up on the PN routers client list. Can you check that DHCP is disabled on dd-wrt ? , it should be automatically when client bridge mode is selected.

dhcp runs on a client device on the dd-wrt wired side (a beaglebone black arm board) so its turned off in both plusnet AND dd-wrt.
All I see in virtual servers on the plusnet router is one mac address which it looks like is exposed by the ddwrt router, so I'm assuming there's some masking/fudging going on. I'm sure I could do some mac address/ipv6 stuff on the plusnet if I can get in through ssh on iptables, if that's what it's using. Just wish I had the stock sagemcom firmware.. .looks much simpler than the dumbed-down plusnet pages.
Quote from: Anotherone
Thanks for replying Matty.
@ichayan, well done for mentioning the last line of the text config file "Dump bytes allocated=163840 used=......." something I also realised myself when I did it a while back. It's something easily overlooked and needs to be emphasised that it needs to be deleted (and any blank lines preceding/following it IIRC). I don't know if veremit encountered that problem.

yup, that ain't valid XML ... Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

dhcp runs on a client device on the dd-wrt wired side (a beaglebone black arm board) so its turned off in both plusnet AND dd-wrt.
Is there a good reason why you can't use the DHCP on the PN router ? Not sure about the 2704N but most routers tend to be better at recognising devices that they have allocated IP's to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Matty123123
Grafter

Quote from: veremit
All I see in virtual servers on the plusnet router is one mac address which it looks like is exposed by the ddwrt router, so I'm assuming there's some masking/fudging going on
Hmmm, its sounds like you have NATting turned on. Have you configured the Wireless as a 'WAN' interface?.  I've attached an example of what I have.  All the DHCP address come from the main ADSL connected router.
I don't have ddwrt but I'm guessing openwrt is very similar.
Did you fix the SSH issue?
veremit

Quote from: MisterW
Is there a good reason why you can't use the DHCP on the PN router ? Not sure about the 2704N but most routers tend to be better at recognising devices that they have allocated IP's to.

Fixed IPs in DHCP config .. and consistent leases across power cycles/etc ..
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Well you can certainly fix IP allocation via the expert_user GUI on the 2704n.
Only other thing I can suggest, have you tried pinging the router (2704) from the clients, responding to a ping MIGHT make it recognise that a device exists...