Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unauthorised Text Messages

southken
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Unauthorised Text Messages

Hi,  I've got a PAYG mobile and the credit has gone to zero even though I haven't used it.  The reason I've been given is that 36 text messages were sent to 02051 yesterday.  I haven't sent any texts and can't understand it.  Has anyone come accross this and know what has happened.  Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Unauthorised Text Messages

Who's your mobile with?  Plusnet don't do PAYG (and I can't remember them ever doing it), and you can't txt short code numbers from Plusnet mobile.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

southken
Rising Star

HI, it's with Asda mobile.  The only thing I can think of is would RCS chat being turned on cause this?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

Ok. That makes more sense. My only thought is that it’s some app sending them. Is it an Android phone? If I remember correctly apps need to get permission to use features such as sms. There is probably a way to see which apps have what permissions. I’m sure someone could tell you how and then you could remove a app or 2 or the permission.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

southken
Rising Star

Thanks, yes it is an android.  I'll check that out.  The only other thing I could think of is that I use an authenticator app for work but I didn't think that would be sending texts.  Thanks for your help.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Everything Else to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I wouldn’t expect an Authenticator app to send text messages but you never know. It sounds like something a bit dodgy to me though. Any apps that aren’t well known?

southken
Rising Star

No, there's not a lot on it really.  I'll go through it tonight and see if I can see anything.  Definitely something dodgy though.

Comerin

Hi southken,

I am having the same problem with unauthorised texts to 2051 numbers. I am also on ASDA PAYG. They are being sent from my Nokia C21 Plus Android 11 Go phone. I have not been able stop them even with a factory reset. Could only stop SMS messages by transferring SIM to another phone.

Do you a similar phone?

southken
Rising Star

Hi Comerin,

I have that same phone.  I changed providers yesterday, got a new sim, new phone number and did a factory reset and I am still 'sending' texts to 2051.  The provider can't or won't help they said to contact Nokia which I did and they have sent the following instructions:

1. Power off the device. (if the device cannot be powered off it may also work)2. Plug the USB cable in the PC USB port. Do not connect to the phone yet.3. Maintain the Volume up button pressed, without releasing and plug the USB cable in the phone.4. When an android picture with message "No Command" appears, release the volume up button and unplug the USB cable.5. Press the power button and then shortly the volume button shortly. A menu will appear.6. Scroll down to the option "Wipe data/Factory reset". Press the power button once

I am reluctant to try this, I don't want to connect the phone to my laptop and corrupt that.  It has been a nightmare and I don't know what else I can do.

Dgk1

Have you got anywhere with this?
I have exactly the same issue but am with lebara. Texts are free so it's not costing me, but I want to know what is sending them and why. It's also a nokia C21+. Its my sons phone and he will not be happy if I reset it as all his games etc will lose the progress. If it's a nokia issue they should provide a proper fix. And why would it be sending texts?
southken
Rising Star

It's a fault with the phone.  If you google 'unisoc sc9863a security flaw' I think that might explain it.  That's the chip in the C21.  I got nowhere with Nokia so contacted Amazon who I bought it from 6 months ago.  They have sent it to be looked at, I'm waiting for their response but there's no way I am using it or having another Nokia C21.  I'm using an old mobile with the same sim at the moment and had no problems.

Hope that helps.

Comerin

Thanks for that, southken.

As you point out, CPU is a crock and we bought it. I have tried to persuade ASDA mobile to send a copy of a script file they sent to update APN settings for mobile data. This might a possible source of a hack. Like Nokia they are dealing with the problem by ignoring it!

Dgk1 is on Lebara but like ASDA they use the Vodafone network. I suspect Vodafone are now carrying a considerable amount of free telemarketing traffic.

It will be interesting to see what Amazon come up with. W.hether its a vunerable chip set or a bit of telemarketing baked into Nokia's firmware.