cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U Torrent Downloads Painfully Slow on Fibre

scottewilliams8

U Torrent Downloads Painfully Slow on Fibre

Hi,
I had my fibre connection go live yesterday with plusnet after switching from a sky standard 2mbps asdl connection. My browsing speed and streaming speeds are both really good (28mbps) however when I try to download through UTorrent the speed is awful (between 2Bkbps and 40kkbps) I was actually getting a quicker download with the old sky asdl! I have tried forwarding the ports on the router (Technicolour), I've gone through the online guides for optimising UTorrent and even disabled the firewall on the router but nothing seems to improve the download speed, I have also ensured the files have got the highest seeds and again tried a variety of different files.
Reading plusnets policy it says I should be getting my 'full line speed' when downloading even on P2P if I'm not using my connection for anything else at the time.
I was wondering if anyone has any idea what's going on with the connection, the only reason I got fibre was to improve my P2P download speeds as I rarely browse the web etc. so for me the whole thing is pointless if I cant get these UTorrent speeds up, I've also tried BitTorrent but this downloads with the same speeds as UTorrent.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Thanks
Scott
5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: U Torrent Downloads Painfully Slow on Fibre

Welcome to the forums Smiley
There are so many factors that affect BT downloads.
Try downloading an Unbuntu ISO http://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads as they are well seeded and quick, i've just downloaded one at 7MB/s.
That should give an indication if there is anything wrong with your profile etc.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scottewilliams8

Hi,
Thanks for the quick feedback. I have tried the link and set the torrent to download, it jumps up to 300kbps when I initially start the download and then very quickly drops down to 30kbps.
I phoned plusnet on this today who say as I was only connected yesterday it is my line stabilising that is causing the issue. I'm quite sceptical of this since at the moment if I run a bt speed test on the line it is saying 29mbps however my torrent downloads have been consistent at 25-50kbps since yesterday when the fibre was activated. Im struggling to see how the line test is saying the speed is high and then in reality when downloading or streaming from UTube etc the speed is worse than it was on 2mbps ASDL from sky. internet pages load extremely fast so I have no doubt the line is functioning at the 29mbps stated but only being able to use the 29mbps to load a web page and then whenever you want to do something like download torrents or stream video the only speed you get it 0,5mbps seems pointless.
I was told I have to wait 10 days before plusnet will even look at this issue, I was wondering if anyone knows what my rights to cancel are and if I am likely to be charged as I am certain this issue is not going to resolve it's self so I'm not really willing to wait 10 days to find I have the same issue with torrent downloads and then have to cancel since it took over a month for the service to go live in the first instance!
Thanks
Scott
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

what speed does this say for you current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
have you tried further diagnositics in the http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scottewilliams8

Hi,
The BT Wholesale one is where I was getting my 29mbps speed from (which it still says) the first plusnet one says 33mbps.
I've also tried a few other speed check sites and they confirm the bt wholesale speed, but as I say for torrent downloads and UTube I am only getting around 0,5mbps. Doesn't make sense to me unless plusnet are somehow throttling the speed.
tartanbanana

OP,
Did you manage to resolve this? I am having pretty much the same issue. New connection with Plusnet Fibre installed , speed is 35-38mbps, and works fine with youtube, skype etc.
Then using the PS4 download or torrent type download, it can take up to 1 hour to download 60mb files.
Previously had Sky broadband (not fibre) and was at least getting a strong download no matter what task.
Any info would be grand if you solved it.