Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trusteer Rapport pop up (needs to go)

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Trusteer Rapport pop up (needs to go)

Hi

Seen many a Rapport issue on here and so I know you will be able to guide me !

I finally installed Rapport after resisting for years and yet whenever I logged in to Santander I got the same Pop up and found a solution somewhere which stopped it popping up (but the green icon was appearing ok)

For about a year now the same Pop up box asking me to install Rapport has plagued me so this morning I finally decided to look for that solution but could not find it

Hundreds of people recommended not to install Rapport and if you had it "ditch it". I decided to ditch it and followed the instructions (techno dunce) and was surprised that Rapport or Trusteer Rapport was not listed in my Programs so it appears I did not even have it installed - so it must have gone a year or so back

So I have not got the Prog so can someone tell me how to ditch the Pop up please as I will never put it back on my PC

Many thanks Bamboozled (as usual lol)

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Trusteer Rapport pop up (needs to go)

@Bamboozled 

I assume that you have fully followed these instructions https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SS7MJT_1908/ug/t_Uninstalling_Rapport__Windows_8_and_...

Have you run a cookie and registry cleaner such as Winoptimiser and/or Ccleaner? You can download a free trial of Winoptimiser to use then delete it if desired.

Have you enabled your browser pop up blocker?

Have you got a decent alternative security suite running that gives you decent protection? I use the sandboxed safe mode feature in Kaspersky Internet Security for financial transactions.

I tried Rapport years ago. I was content for it to slow banking access but it stymied everything so had to go.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

A few years back... I, too, used Rapport.... I got a new laptop, and contacted my bank Nationwide, to see if they had their "Own Version"  of Rapport, as I know , some banks have this...

I was quite amazed to be told that Nationwide did NOT have a version, and have not been recommending customers to install it for a number of years ! ! ..

It`s been about 4 years now, since that happened... ... ..... .....    Nothing untoward had happened to me, or my online activities, since not running Rapport...

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

Hi to my 2 reply senders.

I am trying to "comply" with the actions Santander suggested - that being to allow Cookies - and dont have them deleted when I shut down - and press "remind me later" on the Pop up box.

I thought I had managed this but still getting the Pop up so will need to try again

Will also try the info in the Link sent by Baldrick1 but the only problem there is I have nothing to actually delete - and the Pop up is coming because I dont have Rapport and it wants me to be the next customer !

Cheers I will keep going as its annoying me

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Bamboozled wrote: and the Pop up is coming because I dont have Rapport and it wants me to be the next custome

Same sort of situation here. I should be getting a nag screen every time I logged in but I have managed to block the actual page that pops up but there is still a slight overlay without any wording in it that appears. You'd think by now that Santander would have woken up that not every person wants 'recommended' junk installed.

I might add that blocking it doesn't actually stop me logging in. No doubt I could get rid of the overlay if I really wanted to but I have far more important things to do with my life.   

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

I too thought I had better things to do and in trut I have but THIS is just annoying me so much more than it should

I log on to Santander every morning - sometimes twice and I cringe waiting for the Pop up to appear and it never fails

I could just press "remind me later" and just log in and forget it but I would love to clear it out once and for all - but nothing I try seems to work

Never mind !

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

That's nothing - NatWest insists on my entering info from a text every single time I look at my account - even slower than rapport!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Santander, and others, will soon be requiring a one-time passcode to be texted to you and entered if you want access to your online account.

Bamboozled
Aspiring Pro

I dont mind the 2 stage authentication and have it wherever I can - BUT - that is ok because I chose to have it

However I cringe at the Pop up that has been hounding me for a year or so. I wish it would have a "dont show me again" button because I DONT want Rapport on again - just need a cast iron way to "get shut" of it - and it needs to be easy pls as I am rubbish at P stuff lol

How did you do it please idonno ?

Tags (1)
Baldrick1

A clean install of Windows 10 is the sure fire cure all. By clearing out other unwanted junk it will probably also improve your overall computer perfotmance.

Moderator and Customer

idonno
Champion

@Bamboozled wrote: How did you do it please idonno ?

Adblock 😀  There are 2 elements to block. I've just got around to clearing the overlay as well, so that doesn't even appear now.

Now I click on 'log on' and the log on page appears straight away...as it should do. Simples 😃

@Baldrick1  Not certain a clean install of W10 would ever clear anything. Every time I clear the stage up, the next update tends to bring it all back again. One reason I tend to use the desktop over the laptop. Desktop is still running W8.1. Relative peace with no massive updates 😁 I hate being a live MS beta tester.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1

@idonno 

We clearly disagee on the advantages of a clean install.

Do I gather that after over 4 years you consider Win 10 to still be in its beta phase? To be honest I have used it from the start and never had any problems.

Anyway if your solution fixes the OP's problem then that's fine with me. I agree that a clean install is a lot more hassle.

Moderator and Customer

idonno
Champion

@Baldrick1 I'd agree a clean install might clear up some problems but this Rapport pop up problem is largely confined to Santander.

As for W10, it might not fall over etc but I do think downloads of 5Gb as an update a bit much. Then there is the hassle of 'please wait' etc while it virtually rewrites everything previously installed, and takes an age doing so. The laptop at that point becomes a brick. I'd agree things are improving with it but to me, its been a project in hand (not far behind Android, with what seems its never ending app updates!). 

FWIW. I installed W8.1 on this box 5 years ago. Have I ever done a clean install in those 5 years. No. It just runs with no hassle at all.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Surely you can find the name of the program that causes the pop-up to appear?

Then a file scan would allow you to move it or rename it, interfering with its abilities to pop-up.

Alternatively you could try a registry scan/edit looking for anything for anything called trusteer or rapport.

I did things like this in Windows XP, without breaking anything.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

idonno
Champion

@VileReynard  Unfortunately it isn't stored on the computer. It comes up overlayed on top of the log on page whatever browser one uses. Just go to https://www.santander.co.uk/ and try to log on. You don't have to enter anything - it soon appears - always assuming you don't have Rapport installed 😀.