Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The end of analogue phone lines....

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

The end of analogue phone lines....

Not directly a router issue but likely to require equipment changes, can I recommend a good article on the end of analogue phone lines.

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

The second half shows what routers will need to become to preserve the current phone line service

https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt2

I am the satisfied customer....
32 REPLIES 32
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: The end of analogue phone lines....

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from My Router to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I wonder if this date will be like that for the switching off of FM radio transmissions? It must be 10 years since this was first announced. It just needed the majority to switch to DAB. I understand that last year the Government agreed to the continuation of Ofcom issuing new 10 year transmission licences because so many were still using the FM service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Baldrick1 Probably highly likely - undertakings of this size and complexity never go to plan. I know some telecom company in Sheffield said the city would have full fibre by the end of 2019 - I'm still waiting to find out if anyone in Sheffield has got it yet.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@jab1 wrote:

... I know some telecom company in Sheffield said the city would have full fibre by the end of 2019 - I'm still waiting to find out if anyone in Sheffield has got it yet.

Apparently there is some FTTP in the area @jab1  Wink

Check this map which should open showing the Sheffield area and Openreach native FTTP selected (other FTTP networks may be available);

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#10/53.4324/-1.2778/geafttp/

And the following links (newly posted on TBB) might be useful too as they indicate which areas/exchanges are presently being built by Openreach and those expected to start within 3 months;

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first     Edit 2:  scroll down to 'FTTP Fibre First Build Programme'

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-fir...

Edit: typo

jab1
Legend

Very useful and informative, @RobPN  - thanks, but looking at that map, yes we do have one (largish) area which has FTTP, but no indication of when, if ever, the majority of the City is to get it.

I am not aware of any other FTTP providers thinking of improving on BT's performance - certainly nothing appearing in local media, anyway, and the 'Fibre First' link doesn't show any planned (i.e. thought of) work by 2024!

John
Baldrick1

It is indeed informative as it shows the vast swathes of towns and villages across the country that are not in the plan to upgrade in the time between now and within 1 year of the alleged switch off date!

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

In other words, @Baldrick1  - Pie in the sky thinking, and gives absolutely no confidence in government - or BT - assurances to the contrary.

John
Baldrick1

If only the money and resources being wasted building new train sets that would take a few minutes off a journey if only there was an accessible station was given to someone with the skills of whoever has organised the roll out of COVID jabs then such a target might be achievable.

Moderator and Customer

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

You probably realised @jab1 , but comparing the two maps, the 'Fibre First' map (2nd link) only shows info regarding that program, whereas I believe the TBB map shows TBB forum members known to be already subscribing to FTTP, and in reality there can be some area overlap between the two different data sets which may not be apparent.

e.g. the Fibre First map for Cornwall (where I know there is already a lot of OR native FTTP installed) shows only a couple of areas 'Work in progress' and three 'In plan'.  One of those two 'Work in progress' areas already has a fair bit of OR native FTTP so I suspect that is an instance of OR 'infilling' their FTTP coverage by overbuilding the FTTC areas.

Comparing the maps for Sheffield seems to show a similar 'overlap' (for want of a better word), so I'm wondering if you look closely at the TBB one, can you see any grey (black if multiples overlapping) dots showing FTTP connections anywhere near your own area?

Sometimes there may be small clusters of OR native FTTP enabled due to one or more punters stumping up cash for OR to intall FTTPoD (oD = 'on Demand' - requiring cash up front from customers).

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@jab1 wrote: I am not aware of any other FTTP providers thinking of improving on BT's performance -

It really does depend on where you live. I looked at OR plans / info and found nothing of note. And then comes along a totally unknown company (to me at any rate) that bypass OR and are installing FTTP in what is relatively speaking, a rural location.The problem is the scheme is for rural people, not those living in towns. Outside of towns, OR isn't the only player around. Looking up the list of suppliers I was quite surprised to see how many companies are involved with installing FTTP.

But call wise, I think a fair number of people have already moved on. I can't recall the last time I used a landline to make a call. Its mobile all the time. I haven't had the analogue phone connected for years - I won't miss its demise!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

One key point.

While the end of analogue phone lines assists the roll out of FTTP the two are not absolutely linked.

The "stop sell" of analogue lines (on an exchange by exchange basis) doesn't mean that that exchange will be an all FTTP area.

Copper line delivered "Single Order Transitional Access Product (SOTAP)" (ADSL without a phone service) and "Single Order Generic Ethernet Access (SOGEA)" (VDSL without a phone service) will continue and with a suitable SIP adaptor will provide an "analogue like" phone service.

The "stop sell" for analogue lines prevents new analogue lines being ordered.

The more significant date is the withdrawal of analogue phone services at exchanges which will mean the existing analogue services cease That withdrawal will cause considerable disruption for domestic and business users.

If you are interested in the process, this is worth a read:

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/wlrwithdrawal/wlrwithdrawal/downloads/WLR_withdrawal_...

I am the satisfied customer....
jab1
Legend

@idonno wrote:

@jab1 wrote: I am not aware of any other FTTP providers thinking of improving on BT's performance -

It really does depend on where you live. I looked at OR plans / info and found nothing of note. And then comes along a totally unknown company (to me at any rate) that bypass OR and are installing FTTP in what is relatively speaking, a rural location.The problem is the scheme is for rural people, not those living in towns. Outside of towns, OR isn't the only player around. Looking up the list of suppliers I was quite surprised to see how many companies are involved with installing FTTP.

But call wise, I think a fair number of people have already moved on. I can't recall the last time I used a landline to make a call. Its mobile all the time. I haven't had the analogue phone connected for years - I won't miss its demise!

@idonno I was being a bit 'selfish', just thinking of the plans, or lack of, for my own area. According to the documents referenced in @RobPN 's post above, there are no BT plans to provide FTTP services to the vast majority of Sheffield residents or businesses  who are outside the relatively small area in which the service is shown as already available.

Certain areas of the city do have an alternative, in the guise of Virgin Media, but that is only because Yorkshire Cable/Telewest picked 'easy' to cable areas and did them, before running out of finance and being rescued by VM.

The problem where one supplier totally takes over an area is that, as I currently understand it, you have no alternative but to go with them, and have no alternative - i.e. they have a monopoly, and can squeeze you for as much as they like, so you have a monopoly situation - IMHO, not a good scenario.

Call wise, I could live with no land line - I already make all my calls on the mobile, although if I suspect an '0800' call might be a long one, I will use the land line, merely because the headset for that is more comfortable than the mobile one.

John
jab1
Legend

@RobPN I'll reply to your post #10 later, got some other jobs to do, and need a rest from the laptop, anyway.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

Not OR, but looking at the TBB map again @jab1 and ticking all the different providers check-boxes in turn shows that there's a solid FTTP coverage of an area of Sheffield city centre by a company named Pine Media.

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#13/53.3810/-1.4275/pinemedia/

Edit:  No worries @jab1, I missed your post above.  Wink