cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technicolor TG582n FTTC - Limiting WiFi Access

carlwalters
Dabbler

Technicolor TG582n FTTC - Limiting WiFi Access

I'd like to be able to limit WiFi access during certain times of the day (so that the children can concentrate on homework for example).
So, for example, I'd like to prevent  some devices (iPods, Kindles based on MAC address or IP address) having WiFi access between say 20:00 and 08:00.
Is something like this possible? I can't seem to see anything on the router's admin page which would allow this.
Many thanks in advance.
Carl
19 REPLIES 19
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Technicolor TG582n FTTC - Limiting WiFi Access

You could try the instructions here:
http://www.npr.me.uk/accesscontrol.html
Don't know how current they are, but npr is a customer and frequents these forums...
carlwalters
Dabbler

thanks pwatson :).
Looks like I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves and get down and dirty with telnet.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think it can be done from the router admin web pages if you have the version 10.2 firmware.
davidg52
Grafter

Hi
Give this a try
Log into your router GUI, select home network on left hand side, then access control and then under Device Access Scheduler select the device you wish to restrict from the drop down box. Click add then under Current scheduled devices click edit which then takes you Device Access Editor and then select the time you want the restriction.
This is for TG582n
Hope this helps.
Dave
carlwalters
Dabbler

Hi Dave,
I don't seem to have this option available under Home Network see screenshot
The router information shows

Product Name: TG582n
Serial Number: <snip>
Software Release: 8.C.M.0
jim:green serial number removed mod:end
davidg52
Grafter

Hi
Sorry about that, mine is software release 10.2.5.2.FO so it looks like you may have to update the firmware.
Dave
carlwalters
Dabbler

Just had a look for updating the firmware - doesn't seem to be possible from Linux systems unfortunately.
I might have to find another way around it.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I thought the firmware update was via the GUI? If so, it shouldn't matter what OS you're using.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

The Technicolor firmware update flasher is windows only I'm afraid. Not possible from the GUI as there's not enough memory with these model variants.
That's RPM to you!!
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm sure that in another thread a member of PN staff said they could do it remotely. Ask in a ticket?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Not with the Technicolor via the menu but I noted that my new Asus RT-N66U has a WiFi timer in just the way you want. I thought that was aimed at securing it overnight but your scenario sounds better.
Let's be careful out there !
carlwalters
Dabbler

Quote from: RPMozley
The Technicolor firmware update flasher is windows only I'm afraid. Not possible from the GUI as there's not enough memory with these model variants.

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the confirmation RPMozley.
carlwalters
Dabbler

Quote from: HPsauce
I'm sure that in another thread a member of PN staff said they could do it remotely. Ask in a ticket?

That's a thought HPSauce. I'll try and find out how to ask for that.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It can definitely be done remotely by PN, I'd guess that once the PN CRT staff see this thread they will offer to do it for you. It IS possible to update manually from Linux but it's pretty techy!
Updating uses TFTP, see these posts  http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Router_-_TG582N_-_Firmware_and_Factory_Reset#Firmware_Upgrade_via_your_TFTP_se... & http://www.jonathandavis.me.uk/2013/12/flashing-generic-firmware-on-a-technicolor-tg582n/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.