Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synology Nas Loses Connection

jimmy90
Hooked

Synology Nas Loses Connection

Hi everyone

My Synology NAS is directly connected to my PlusNet router by ethernet but every so often, maybe once a week it will just completely lose connection. The NAS is still on but I can no longer access it, the fix so far is simply to restart it but unfortunately I cannot do this remotely and I regularly work away from home. Every time this happens I check the log centre and it says nothing other than it has successfully booted up.

Has anyone had this issue or knows a fix?

Many thanks for your help

7 REPLIES 7
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Synology Nas Loses Connection

@jimmy90 wrote:

... The NAS is still on but I can no longer access it, the fix so far is simply to restart it but unfortunately I cannot do this remotely and I regularly work away from home.

@jimmy90 

Does restarting the router have the same effect?

I don't know anything about the PlusNet routers, but if the router can be restarted remotely that might be a workaround.

jimmy90
Hooked

No I've tried this and it did not work

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Is the NAS on a static IP or just set in the router to always give the same IP via DHCP ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jimmy90
Hooked

via DHCP

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Try it with a true static IP if that's possible on the NAS. Make sure it's out of the router DHCP range though.

Default DHCP range for the Hub one is 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 I believe , so try a static IP of 192.168.1.1.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jimmy90
Hooked

Thanks for your help, I'll try it next time I'm on my home connection, I was worried I'd mess it up doing it in the wrong range or something like that.

Is it likely that the router would change the IP address allocated via DHCP?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Unless you've told the router to fix the ip , then yes it could change, unlikely but it could.