cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunday... It's Backup Day

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sunday... It's Backup Day

At Home, I run two Time Machine backups, for my iMacs, which automatically backup hourly, alternating between the two external Time Machine HDD's.
Weekly :
I  do a Time Machine check restore weekly, of a few files, to confirm the system works.
Carbon Copy Cloner, to another external HDD
Monthly :
Copy files & Folders amended / New since previous backup copy, to another external HDD.
Copy some Data to DVD's. Docs, Mobile apps, etc
Email Documents to my other email providers.
I  also do  check restore, of a few files, to confirm the system works.
Quarterly :
Copy Data to older iMacs, stored in cupboards.
Storage :
a) Locked Steel Cabinets
b) Fireproof Safe
c) Off site.

Touch wood, since I moved from Windows to Apple Macs many years ago, never lost any Data yet.
Though I have restored quite  few files / Folders that I have accidentally amended / erased.
All Documents and many folders are encrypted / password protected, but I don't trust encrypting HDD's, just in case I cannot retrieve items.
And iMacs, are physically secretly  (Auto spell check !!) securely fixed in place, so my only real fear is Fire, not Theft.

All of the backups, once set in motion, are automatically doing the business, freeing me up to do other things.
Just the occasional attention needed for items needing authorisation, if not flagged up as backup starts.
PS:
My Smartphones are backed up regularly too, Apps & Data etc, to iMac.

Of course, you all religiously backup too ?
(Pun intended)

7 REPLIES 7
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Sunday... It's Backup Day

I run Norton Ghost at 4:00pm every day for a complete backup of my C: drive. I also do a backup before making any significant changes.
That's got me out of trouble many times!  Cool
It's done at 4:00pm 'cos that's when I walk my dogs!  Grin
My iPhone and iPad are backed up every Sunday.
Geoff,
York.
journeys
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I don't bother with backing up data as such.
I utilise 4 laptops and desktops none have data stored on them, each is 'ready-to-go'.
Data resides in an array of 4 x NAS drives that are replicated overnight via WiFi and cable to each other (one primary and 3 secondary), 2 are in the main house,1 in my workshop 1 in the granny annex. (the workshop and annex are separate buildings).
There are flaws in this, (if a router packs up)
picbits
Rising Star

I use Rsync between two different sites for my backups - they sync every hour or so.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Shamefully I don't back up a lot or often. Our stuff is on a NAS (USB HDD plugged into the router lol) and thats backed up to the main PC every now and then but also to another USB HDD every few months (though admittedly it's pretty rare).
I really do need to look at getting something regular setup as I've survived a lot of computer disasters over the years and my luck won't last forever..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I never backup  Wink  if windows starts playing up , i just wipe it and reinstall .
it always runs better on a fresh install  Cool
mind you its on my SSD and any  files i need Photo,s music etc are on my spare 1tb Hdd
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
kdiment
Rising Star

Three external HDDs are enough to allow me to sleep soundly without worrying too much about data loss, but copying the entire C: drive seems wasteful. I know it has masses of "temporary" files which never seem to disappear, old versions of programs kept just in case an update fails, and so on, so it should be possible to backup just the essential files, but which are they?
Among all the GBytes of system files there must be some that are never needed, some that it would be easy to reinstall, and some that would be difficult or impossible to recover. What about, for example, all the websites bookmarked as "favourites" in my browser, the many login IDs and passwords that my computer remembers, my email contact list, my thousands of emails arranged in hundreds of folders?
Files (photos, documents, graphics, correspondence, etc.) that I have saved in folders that I have created, are easy. I know which they are. Many other valuable  files are buried deep inside the "Users" folder (about 6GB at the last count) and elsewhere and I cannot believe that much of that is really necessary. Does everyone just backup everything always, or are there clever ways of being selective?
I know you generally need to backup only things that have changed since the last full backup, but I'm talking about being able to select only those folders and files that are really important when much commercial software seems to hide stuff away in folders you know nothing about.
I suppose, with storage being quite cheap, just backing up everything must be the answer. It just doesn't feel right to know that most of what I back up is useless.
NedLudd
Grafter

With Ghost, I have it set to do a complete new backup of drive C: on the first of every month. Daily backups after that are incremental!
Geoff,
York.