cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony PRS T1 bricked

morgan2476
Grafter

Sony PRS T1 bricked

Hi, I would appreciate some help and I have been on the mobileread website.  That is part of the problem - there seems to be no end of advice.  What I would like isa plain plan.  I had tried to root the device which has failed.  This has left me with a reader that doesn't work.  It seems that I will have to boot from sd, but what files do I put on the card, and what is the correct procedure?  I would appreciate some help on this. Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Sony PRS T1 bricked

Get a hold of a firmware file from Sony.
Follow the instructions there on how to flash it.
That should get it back to working.
morgan2476
Grafter

Hi Hairy Biker.  The problem is that I cannot connect the device to the PC. 
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I would still try the f/w it might bypass the need for it to be mounted.
My old 505 was flashable this way.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'm not familiar with the PRS T1 but I suspect, like most Android devices, if it won't boot normall, you'll need to boot into Recovery mode as described here http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Rooting_and_Tweaks#Boot_into_Recovery_Console
Reboot the reader and press and hold Home + Menu buttons until opening book progress bar reaches 100%.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

morgan2476
Grafter

I'm not familiar with the PRS T1 but I suspect, like most Android devices, if it won't boot normall, you'll need to boot into Recovery mode as described here http://wiki.mobileread.co...oot_into_Recovery_Console
What then?
PS Apologies I am just going to work.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That should then allow you to reflash the firmware from a file on the PC

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The device should be able to connect to a PC via the USB cable when it's in recovery mode Smiley
morgan2476
Grafter

Could someone give me detailed instructions for this proceedure as I am not confident, also I not understanding some of the terms.  I know I shpuld put files on the SD card, the problem is I don't know exactly which ones.  As I understand the instuctions I am to switch on and hold the home and back buttons at the same time.  What then? 
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

this seems to have some step by step
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_Rooting_and_Tweaks#Recovering_a_bricked_device_.28sd_recovery....
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
morgan2476
Grafter

Earlier today I tried to copy the following on to the sd card -  Porkupan's SD rescue package for 1.01/1.02/1.03 firmware but there seems to be another zip file within it whicha cannot be opened.  What files need to be on the sd card.
morgan2476
Grafter

None of the things I have tried have worked.  It looks as if I have another brick for the wall. Thanks to all who wrote and viewed.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Porkupan's SD rescue package for 1.01/1.02/1.03 firmware but there seems to be another zip file within it whicha cannot be opened
I've just downloaded it here fine, it contains a directory 'OS Firmware'. According to the wiki , you just copy that directory to the root of an SD card.

morgan2476
Grafter

Hi when I open the above file all I am getting is another zip called update.img which cannot be opened.  Also, what does one mean "copy to the root of the SD"?  Is that the same as transferring it to the SD card?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In that case , you've not downloaded the correct file, try again.
In computer file systems, the root directory is the first or top-most directory in a hierarchy. It can be likened to the root of a tree — the starting point where all branches originate.