Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonos Surround does not pick up Plusnet Wifi

leechinnery
Hooked

Sonos Surround does not pick up Plusnet Wifi

Can someone help please.  

I have just joined Plusnet and linking up all my devices via WIFI.  However my Sonos surrond (2 play 1's and a Beam) can not seem to find the Plusnet router.  Can someone advise what I need to do here.

Been scratching mjy head for the last half hour trying to resolve this.  

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Sonos Surround does not pick up Plusnet Wifi

@leechinnery 

When you change a router there's two options with respect to setting up your WiFi:

1. Go into every connected device and change the wireless network to the new default SSID and Password, or,

2. Go into the Router advanced wireless settings and change the SSID and Password to match your old Router.

Option 2 can save time, effort and head scratching.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

leechinnery
Hooked

I will give it a try but I hav deleted my old router from the sonos app so not sure this will work.

I'm still unsure as to how why it won't pick up the plusnet router though. It doesn't make sense when all my other devices do.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from  Fibre to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
leechinnery
Hooked

This is not fixed. Can someone help please.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Have you deleted the app and reinstalled it?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I have no personal experience with the Sonos products but these https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US instructions for reconnecting to a new wifi or router suggest that there is a need for a temporary connection via an ethernet cable when ther is more than 1 sonos system

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

leechinnery
Hooked

I have connected via ethernet and that's fine. It's over WiFi that it is an issue. Sonos only works on 2.4ghz as well. Not sure if this is it but I have no idea why it can not even find the router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Have you tried separating the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands on the Hub one and giving them different SSID's. By default the have the same SSID and I wonder if the Sonos is getting confused.

Go to the Advanced Settings , Wireless , and the 5Ghz Wireless. Select No for Sync with 2.4 Ghz and change the SSID to something different ( its usually suggested to add '_5g' to the end )

Any other existing clients e.g phones will need to be reconnected to the new SSID if they were using the 5g band previously.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

leechinnery
Hooked

Thank you for this. The 5 ghz is not switched on though. I'm completely confused by this.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hmmm,

Clutching at straws here.

Are there any non printing characters in the SSID ? 

Dont know whether the sonos suffers from it but I've seen problems with wifi clients in the past.

Make a note of the existing ssid and try replacing with a very simple one, see ifbttevsonos then picks it up.

Ahh , hang on a minute , what channel is the router using for the 2.4ghz wifi. If it's on auto then it's probably using 1,6 or 11. Try setting it to manual and picking a different one , preferably one with little interference from neighbour's wifi. Use a wifi analyser app on a phone to find the least busy channel

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

I cured Sonos WiFi problems by fitting a Sonos Boost. Hardwired to the router it then creates it's own wireless network.

Highly recommended.

leechinnery
Hooked

Thanks for this. I really don't want to have to buy a boost just for WiFi issues that was working perfectly fine with my previous provider.