Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart TV and Ethernet

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Smart TV and Ethernet

I have just bought a Smart TV - the first TV I have had in 12 years because I am not interested in it.  However, I have a lodger who wants TV and so I had to buy a licence.  So I decided I might as well get a TV set too, so at least I can now watch the cricket and the rugby occasionally.  However, I have found it nice to have it for streaming on the rare occasion that there is something I want to see in particular.

We have a collection of DVDs which we sometimes watch on the desktop computer.  However, where the Smart TV has been set up is much more comfortable.  We do not have a TV aerial and so use the broadband for the TV which works fine - or so I am told by the lodger !

My Smart TV is connected by ethernet cable because it is there although I could use WiFi too.  My question is probably silly but I wondered if there was any way in which I could use the ethernet connection to the Smart TV to send the output from the DVD player on my desktop computer to the Smart TV to use as a display ?  I suspect the answer is "No" and that the only way would be with a very, very long HDMI cable.  But it is worth asking just in case !

The alternative would presumably to buy a cheap DVD player to locate next to the Smart TV connected by HDMI.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Smart TV and Ethernet

@shermans 

Have you looked in your TV manual and or done an internet search relating to your particular TV?

I have a first generation Samsung smart TV and by downloading a free app on my computer can cerainly see  photos stored on my computer on the TV. I have never tried it with videos. These days I have a NAS and believe that I can cast photos from the NAS to the TV via an iPad and Chromecast (I must admit I have not tried yet, I use it for Britbox) so can't try it for you.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shermans 

I won't say you can definitely watch DVDs played via the PC on your TV as I've never tried that, but it's likely to be possible.

Like @Baldrick1 I also store content (Video, Audio and Photos) on a NAS and can select it direct from the TVs menus.  I've enabled DLNA for the source folders on the NAS (which acts as a DLNA server) and they are selected on the TV by first selecting the NAS from the 'Source' menu on the TV then navigating through the folder structure.  Or you may prefer to download/install a 'Media player' app such as Plex on the TV to organise your content.

Where NAS is mentioned above you should be able to do the same with your PC.

shermans
Pro

Thanks to both Baldrick and RobPN. 

Instructions ?  What are they  these days ?  My TV came with no instructions which is the case these days.  However, I will google for it and see what I can find.

As for NAS, it may be nice to have but not at my level these days.  I have upgraded to a SSD internal system disk on my desktop leaving the original SATA HDD as backup a further 1 TB internal storage which has made a big difference, but with the two disks, that is ample storage for my purposes.

So it is worth searching some more.

jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@shermans 

Re the manual (or lack of it) my Samsung TV has the manual stored electronically within it. Access is via the settings menu etc. Alternatively, as you say, you will no doubt find it on the web.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@shermans 

Some of the results here regarding DLNA on your PC may be useful.

shermans
Pro

Thanks for the ideas.  As a result of the various suggestions, I have found the way to do it through the website of the manufacturer LG.  They have software to download and it seems to fit the bill exactly.

Many thanks for all the contributions.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I have a dumb TV.

But also a "smart" Humax DVR [connected to ethernet]

I could transfer video files - as mp4 to the DVR;

But I prefer to run minidlna on a Linux PC also connected via ethernet; the DVR sees any mp4 files via DLNA and allows me to see them on the connected TV.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shermans
Pro

Having resolved all my other issues, thanks to the many contributions from this Forum, I now have another new one about my Smart TV, however this time I suspect it is wishful thinking.

My wife uses her laptop for a keep-fit class which has had to resort to Zoom during Covid-19.  Due to the small size screen, it is not very practical.  I decided that she could take the laptop to where we keep the new Smart TV (in the loft room, up a ladder, to reduce the temptation to watch TV unnecessarily !) and use the HDMI to plug it into the TV to give a bigger screen.

But as I sometimes use the Smart TV with a keyboard and mouse to access the Internet, I wondered in fact if my wife could access Zoom directly on the Smart TV ? Of course that would also require camera and audio input.  I imagine that requires too much processing for what is basically a TV and therefore not likely to be a solution.  But I thought I would ask the question, nevertheless.  Can anyone confirm this ?

In the meantime, she can try the laptop with with the TV as a screen.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

There's no Zoom app for smart tv, you'll either need to cast it or as you've already suggested plug it in.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shermans
Pro

Thanks.  You have confirmed what I imagined would be the case.