cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up a VPN from the Router

lal75

Setting up a VPN from the Router

Sorry newb here so need some help.

I'm looking to use a VPN at the router so any device I connect to the router automatically is in the VPN.  Can this be done with the basic plusnet modem I got (Technicolour?) 

If I need to get a new router, whats the best option on PN? looking for a good match of affordability v performance

From anyone's experience, is there a better VPN to use that works with Plusnet (Easy to set up, etc.)

Any other advice, tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers

11 REPLIES 11
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Setting up a VPN from the Router

Hi @lal75

Setting up a VPN is totally doable on the TG582n router, however it does involve port forwarding which, I'm afraid goes above the remit of out technical support team.

Below is a link to an older forum post regarding this topic - reading though it, it seems to all correct to my knowledge: VPN using Technicolour TG582n router

Give it a read through and attempt to replicate the steps mentioned. Initially it talks about setting up a VPN which allows you to connect via VPN from inside your home network, however then also goes on to explaining how to check that it works and to connect via VPN from outside your home network.

There is no "accepted fixes" flagged on the thread itself, but I believe the information provided to be valid and correct - if any of the Tech Guru's we have on the forums are reading this and would like to add any more advice/read through the linked thread and offer any opinions then that would be more than welcome!

I hope this helps.

Alisdair

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The thread linked to above discusses how to run a VPN endpoint on a single device on your network and make it accessible to the outside world.
What the OP is after, is a VPN client that runs on the router itself and is used to tunnel all local traffic out to the Internet.
I don't believe this can be achieved with the 582n.
Regarding suggested routers, I've never really had a need to do this so have limited personal experience,. hopefully somebody else has some suggestions.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

The Browser called  " Opera" has a facility to use VPN.... not sure if it is effective though...  you can also use "windscribe" as an "addon" with Firefox,... or you can download it, and register/pay for its use.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The opera vpn is now discontinued and would only route web traffic for one device, not all traffic for all devices
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@dvorak

I'm afraid that the VPN built into Opera Browser does still work. They moved VPN providers from  EasySurf to one of their own making, but you need to update Opera to change over (Which you should have done as it was last year when they made the change)

What has been discontinued is the Opera VPN on Android and IOS which was a VPN for that device for all traffic. https://www.macrumors.com/2018/04/18/opera-vpn-ios-app-discontinued/

Another good browser VPN add-on for both Firefox and Chrome is "Hotspot Shield VPN Free Proxy".

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
shutter
Community Veteran

@SpendLessTime thanks for the confirmation that it works. !... there is a small icon in the browser address bar, that you can "switch" on or off.. by clicking it... and also in the "settings" you can set it to on by default.

However... When I try to access certain German TV stations ( live stream )... it does not allow me access, but if use the "windscribe" addon with firefox,..... no problem... ( having set the location as Germany, of course!  ) ...

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Opera VPN has a lengthy privacy policy with several interesting clauses.

For example, apparently the service may collect "usage data, like web addresses (but not content of the web pages) and IP address locations." That's more than most VPNs, but bear in mind that the service isn't associating this with your name, email address or any other personal details. Opera VPN is building browsing histories here, but they're relatively anonymous and can't easily be connected to you...

So it isn't a real VPN. Lips_are_sealed

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@shutter

The range of locations that the Opera browser built in supports is small.

It now has 3 options "Americas", "Europe" or "Asia" which are regional based.

So I'm sure that some sites may not like the VPN address as it is taken from a range of countries within a region. I've seen addresses from Norway, Netherland, Egypt for European to name just a few.

But it is free to use, built in and easily switched off or on. And just 1 weapon in the arsenal.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
shutter
Community Veteran

Yeah.... I just use if for downloading dodgy videos ! ! ! !!  .. ShockedCheesy

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Since your ip address is recorded, your protection is illusory.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Farrinaf
Grafter

We need to distinguish between a VPN Server and VPN Client application.

If I understand you correctly what you want to do is to have your router run a VPN client to connect to a external VPN service provider. The net effect of this (if configured correctly) is that all your external Internet traffic will be forced out down the VPN to the VPN provider and thence onto the wider Internet.

This is a relatively advanced configuration and basic routers (in my experience) do not offer VPN Clients (nor indeed VPN Server!). Another thing to consider is that encryption/decryption imposes quite high demands on the router hardware so you may be able to buy a router that can provide the functionality but performance might be lacking.

If you have a NAS it may be possible to configure a VPN client on. This is NOT my preferred route as you would have to open ports in your existing router to allow access to your NAS, which potentially might put it in the firing line.

I note that you refer to "affordability v performance" - bottom line, I don't think this is going to come cheap (even for a basic setup)

Some VPN providers will sell you a router pre-configured for access (again at a price)

For a DIY "budget" approach I would think

Budget Router - say £120

Modem - you may be able to pick up a cheap old BT Openreach Modem on fleabay (or pay through the nose for a Draytek 130 for circa £80) There may be scope in between ( I use a Draytek).

You then need to factor in the cost of a good VPN provider (do your research carefully as its a rats nest - I wont mention, unless requested, my preferred provider) but budget up to circa £85/$100 per annum.

Whilst not rocket science, configuring the router/VPN et al will require concentration and application (its not a 2 minute job) and some experience of basic networking would be most beneficial.

Going cold on the idea yet ?

I have sourced and configured a Asus RT-AC66U_B1 (802.11ac) router flashed with Merlin third party firmware that runs an OpenVPN Client for a friend in a residential environment which forces all his traffic down the VPN and his Kodi box does not complain.

This is a router only hence the need for a separate modem – in his case he used his existing Openreach Modem.

Merlin firmware is very good. Unlike a lot of other third party router firmware providers, Merlin is closely matched to the existing Asus firmware but provides additional functionality not available in the stock firmware (Asus have apparently incorporated some of the Merlin code into later revisions of their own firmware)

If I have not put you off and you want more detailed information drop me a private message and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Note I am not professionally involved in the subject matter (just have experience having setup my own VPN clients) and would be happy to help.

Of course there may be cheaper solutions out there, but I am not aware of any (might be worth sitting tight for a while to see if anyone else can come up with better options)

Various links

Router

Merlin Firmware Overview

Merlin Firmware features