cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up ASUS RT-AC68U router

jaygant

Setting up ASUS RT-AC68U router

HI

I subscribe to a Plusnet Fibre service but we only have fibre to the cabinet. So I am not sure whether that counts as fibre or ADSL for setting up a router? I have a Plusnet Homehub One

With 5 people in the house working from home we need a better router. I have been given two ASUS routers. one is an RT-AC68U and the other is an AC1900 Dual Band. I have reset the settings on both so they are ready for set up.

Can someone give me some bombproof instructions for set up either as a replacement router to the Homehub One or as an access point - whichever is better/easier.

NB I am not techie, but can work my way through a set of instructions if in Plain english.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Setting up ASUS RT-AC68U router

g@jaygant  Welcome to the forum.

The ASUS RT 68U is a router so needs to be used with your Hub One. 

What you need to do is set the ASUs up as an Access Point see https://www.guidingtech.com/setup-asus-rt-ac68u-access-point-repeater/ you need to scroll down past the wireless repeater section for the instructions. This is then connected to one of the yellow LAN sockets on the HubOne. That’s LAN on the Hub One to WAN on the ASUS.

You can either leave the Hub One settings alone and have two wireless networks or log into the Hub One wireless settings and switch off the radio on that.

At the end of the day if you want the fastest most reliable broadband then forget wireless and use Ethernet cables.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jaygant

Thanks Baldrick that is very clear

Just one follow up, does the ASUS need to be plugged directly into the Homehub one, or can I plug into an ethernet point elsewhere in the house.

If directly into the hub, can I then set up Asus AC1900 as an additional repeater or access point.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@jaygant 

There's no problem with using an Ethernet cable between the Hub One and Asus Access Point or adding more Access Ports/repeaters as required. Just remember that you need to use the WAN port on the Asus.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'