cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing failed Openreach ONT - How long does it take?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Replacing failed Openreach ONT - How long does it take?

I noticed Openreach has been busy these past few months installing new kit and laying fibre cables into the BT underground chambers in our area.   Last week, engineers laid duct draw ropes into the existing BT underground ducts to the front of every house in our road.

I understand an Openreach ONT has to be installed inside the premises if a customer orders FTTP.

Has anyone suffered an ONT failure?   If so, how long did it take Openreach to come out and replace it after the customer had notified the ISP ?

I read you can't install a 'used' ONT yourself to get FTTP back up and running, because the ONTs are coded or something?     ie. no point buying a 'spare' ONT off eBay in the expectation one can plug it in to restore the FTTP service.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
8 REPLIES 8
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Replacing failed Openreach ONT - How long does it take?

@bill888 

An ONT cannot be replaced unless you have a fibre fusing machine available at your beck and call!

As I understand things an ONT is highly likely to fail as as there is little to break though I could of course be wrong.

The following is a new article about the latest OR ONT.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/01/a-look-at-openreachs-future-4-port-ont-for-fttp-broadb...

Brian

bill888
Champion

hmm, are you sure about requiring a fibre fusing machine if an ONT has to be replaced?

I thought there is a flexible fibre optic cable coming through the wall into the house with green plug on the end that just plugs into the ONT ?

This PDF seems to shows a different ONT to the one in the link you provided.

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for... 

0ont.jpg

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from FTTP Trial to Tech Help.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I thought there is a flexible fibre optic cable coming through the wall into the house with green plug on the end that just plugs into the ONT ?

Certainly with the latest ONT There is

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

Things keep changing!!!

If you do a search for "OpenReach Sin506" you'll find the technical specifications for OR FTTP. These have a picture of the ONT 1+0 but not the "new" ONT I referenced in an earlier post.

It does say however that the ONT supplied depends on the equipment used down the line so both ONT's may be valid.

However though I haven't checked I'd be surprised it you found many (if any) ONT's for sale on auction sites. It is something that doesn't get replaced each time you change supplier. It could be moved (though I suspect that would cost you money) but otherwise unless broken no reason to change.

Brian

bill888
Champion

The images posted in the article by ISPreview don't seem to show the optical port all that well.  The red arrow points to middle of nowhere?

0ont2.jpg

If you study their image more carefully, does that look like a dust cover for optical port?

0ont.jpg

It's also one ugly ONT to look at.  Unless it is some form of fashion statement, all those ventilation slots may suggest the unit gets toasty in use?Huh

0ont3.jpg

All electronics can fail (bad/leaking capacitors are usually to blame over time/heat).  Usually the power adapters die first, but I have seen bad capacitors inside both Huawei and ECI made Openreach VDSL modems in the past..

bill888
Champion

Update: I sent an email to ISPreview.  Mark Jackson got back to me to acknowledge he is aware of the misplaced red arrow, and had not got around to correcting it.

bmc
Hero

@bill888 

OK, I got it wrong - the ONT's are connected by a plug. It's just where OR do the fuse that appears ro change.

I've had FTTP for 4/5 years now and my ONT is so old it's not only got a battery back up unit this is situated outside the ONT. Two of my neighbours have a newer unit where the BBU is enclosed. I've just had a look and I was connected with a plug. The fusing was done inside the house once the cable was in.

I cannot see overheating ONT's being a problem - I cannot recall a single post citing this. Indeed there are few posts at all on faulty ONT's. I would image the repair time is similar to copper internet - simply when an engineer is available.

Brian