cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing, Asus Eee BOX PC EB1007 Express Gate Cloud for (Media Server software)

TORPC
Grafter

Removing, Asus Eee BOX PC EB1007 Express Gate Cloud for (Media Server software)

As there does not seem to be much help & support for it
I have been given an EeeBox PC that has the Express Gate Cloud on it, on  one 18.0GB partition, no operating system on the other 232GB empty partition
The Express gate O/S goes into a constant reboot, yet following the instructions F9 does not work to gain access to the recovery section
Thus the thinking of removing it completely,
As many may remember I had mentioned about building a media server, with Plex installed
Main question
For a Plex Media centre
Here are Plex's Download choices for Windows / Mac / Linux / FreeBSD
Which do you think is the best O/S to use & why
Please bare in mind, that I have very limited experience with Linux
The specs
Processor Intel Atom (D410, 1.66 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)
Chipset Intel NM10
Operating System Free DOS (Microsoft Windows not Included)
Memory 1GB RAM
Hard Drive 250 GB
Graphics Integrated (Intel Onboard Graphics)
Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
USB Ports 5x USB 2.0
VGA Port 1 External VGA Port

It also has a neat bracket that allows it to be hidden on the back of a TV of monitor
The hardware has got nice reviews, with different O/S's
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B004YK1CEA
http://alatest.co.uk/reviews/desktop-computer-reviews/asus-eeebox-eb1007-intel-atom-d410-1-66ghz-1gb...
P.S
In time I will most likely upgrade the Ram & HDD, in the meantime I will use an external HDD if required for extra space
For a test, I have temporarily installed Windows 7 Ultimate with the grace time as not to use a prod key up, to test the hardware, while this discussion unfolds Wink
So far it is running smooth on WiFi, the
Drivers that needs to be sourced, (hopefully window update will find them) wont hold breath though Smiley
Or an Auto Detect from Intel may be in order, will soon see
Ethernet Controllers
Unknown device (will install Unknown device Identifier) to see what that one is for Wink
Video Controller
Disappointed that Avast installed Google Chrome, after I unticked that option. 1st time that's ever happened to me
Time I got some shut eye, will press on again later Wink
13 REPLIES 13
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Removing, Asus Eee BOX PC EB1007 Express Gate Cloud for (Media Server software)

If it is going to be a media server I would look into using linux, Plex Media Server is proprietary software.
I would look into using freeware media server e.g. Serviio that is one of many that you could yous for a media server.
[Edit]
You may want to have a look at Five Best Desktop Media Servers for some ideas.

TORPC
Grafter

Re: Removing, Asus Eee BOX PC EB1007 Express Gate Cloud for (Media Server software)

Cheers MC
Plex will indeed be the proprietary software, as it will be accompanying, the 2400SK whit Now TV box  with the extra unofficial Plex software I mentioned in earlier thread(s) Wink
I am mainly concerned what is the best base O/S I should install it on, since Plex.TV supports
Either
Windows / Linux x 3 flavours (sorry NO Minty or Puppy flavour) / FreeBSD or NAS ?Huh
Linux flavours are as follows in either 32 bit or 64 bit

Ubuntu / Fedora or CentOS
NAS flavours

Synology ==> Intel / ARM or POWERPC
Netgear ===> Intel 4.x / ARM 5.x Intel 6.x
QNAP ====> Intel or ARM
unRAID====> Standard D/L Package
drobo ====> as unRAID
asustor ====> Intel 32 bit or 64 bit
Windows
From XP onwards
Notice Windows in last place Tongue Wink
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

CentOS if you want to run the box headless, but if you want to run the Linux box with a graphical user interface (GUI) I would go for Ubuntu.
As much as I like windows in your case I would go for a Linux box, and dump windows, sorry windows but you are not suited for the job.
TORPC
Grafter

Once again I thank you MC  Wink
After an excessive 260 + Windows updates (Wishing I done it the easy way)  Lips_are_sealed would of cut the time down by less than half  Wink
I have now got Plex running temporary on Win 7 Ultimate (as mentioned above)
The Atom Processor, is a bit of a let down (Windows Experience Index) of 2.4 says it all, yet seems to perform quite adequate for the task
The Stock 1GB DDR2 PC2 - 6400S Ram very slugish (Replaced with) 1GB DDR2 PC2 - 5300S Unbuffered NON- EEC a vast improvement, nearly 5 x faster
As I am using an old 19" flatscreen backlit monitor, which does not indication of how good or bad the graphics card is,  yet the colours are quite vibrant
Atheros WiFi card is only reporting back maximum of 4 / 5 bars despite only being less than 8ft away in the same room, (without any obstructions), yet performance is very good, an average of 7 - 7.7 MB speeds, near the same as laptop
The Unknown device is the JMC250 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller ( Direct download from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/Ethernet/Windows/JMC2xx_WinDrv_R0.0.31.6_WHQL.zip )
I listened to the Plex podcast channel earlier, & there was mention about Linux not transcoding, where as MAC or Windows does ??  (need to delv deeper)
The Blue HDD light is more like a laser light show , (need to put tape over it (if I VESA mount it to the back of the TV)) Anyone would think there was Emergency Services about Tongue
At the moment I will continue to use Win7, until the time I get the / please activate windows msg, then I think I will either install Ubuntu or a NAS solution
Reason for thinking a NAS solution
It can run from a pen / flash drive thus maximising space fro media on HDD
Not sure if I can do that with Unbuntu as yet
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It ought to be.
I run full backups to an external USB drive, with Mint booted from a USB key.
Ubuntu would work equally well.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TORPC
Grafter

Cheers Vilefox
I am pretty sure that Ubuntu would boot from USB
However I did notice, that the requirement in the B.I.O.S needs to be reset each time (even after a restart or a shut down) to boot from USB (device name / number) as it does not save, (I have looked into the possibility of a B.I.O.S flash, no luck so far
I also do not want to tie up  USB CD/DVD Player
However their are the options of either E-SATA or SDCard, connectivity, I could play with / utilise, if required Wink
will have to look in the B.I.O.S for a deeper look to see if the options to boot are available, from E-SATA or SDCard (got no chance atm) as SWMBO is hogging it Wink
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You don't need to reset the BIOS - just make USB the first device in the boot priority list.
The PC doesn't use any particular USB "slot".

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TORPC
Grafter

There is a glitch with the B.I.O.S that does not save the boot to USB option, (I fell foul of it when installing Win7 from USB)
Check out this Video where, it is mentioned about the Post issue that needs to be hard reset, & the issue with the USB boot order approx 5 minutes in. (Check out the AMP approx 12 mins in Wink ) we were discussing similar in a thread not so long ago  Cool he also tells the differences between the 2 EeeBOX PC's he has
Here is another for a tear-down & rebuild guide
Slight different models, to mine, however the process is exactly the same for each.
I have now tested the sound card, & it is better than I expected tbh, OMG it was loud as default was @ 100% Volume (OUCh!!! to my ear drums) via headphones
I have thrown a HD 1080P vid from the famous tube website, called "Waterfalls of the World" (+Music)1 HR Healing Nature Relaxation Video 1080p with Musc youtube defaulted the speed @ 480P
On WifI
@1080P Very choppy
@720P it is slightly choppy (Letting it buffer minimises the choppiness)
@480P Plays ok
Gigabit Ethernet Controller, is the same results as the WiFi
Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Speed test 7.35Mbps
SDCard is instant, as also seen in the video
Just a thought
Should I install MAC OSX on it  Lips_are_sealed Cheesy
picbits
Rising Star

When playing Youtube videos, you may find that hardware video acceleration isn't enabled as default (or not supported) - by right clicking on the video and showing the stats it may give you a better idea.
My Acer Revo's are useless at Youtube video but will happily play 1080p content streamed over the network all day long.
TORPC
Grafter

Hi DomS
on a right click they now a stats for nerds,
See screenshot, taken off this laptop, however will tell you the differences on the Asus EeeBoc PC E1007

E1007 stats (Differences)
Dimensions: 640 x 360 * 1.75
Resolution 426 x 240
Mime Type: video/webm, codecs="\vp9"
DASH: yes
Bandwidth: 6955 Kbps
Decoded frames 2360
Dropped frames 33
Video Bytes Decoded 1597007
Audio Bytes Decoded 1266783
[code= Debug Info file= Youtube video]{"ns":"yt","el":"detailpage","cpn":"Cm8JcdoonBNa9mGp","docid":"jO-EBdHu5Yw","ver":2,"referrer":"http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128217.0.html","cmt":"80.927","plid":"AAT786VETE8K0pKd","ei":"_-qeU7mGCtH1igbk34Bw","fmt":"43","fs":"0","rt":"693.431","c":"WEB","cver":"html5","adformat":null,"content_v":null,"euri":null,"subscribed":null,
"lact":608441,"live":null,"cplatform":null,"cbrand":null,"cmodel":null,"cnetwork":null,"cbr":"Chrome","cbrver":"30.0.1650.0","cos":"Windows","cosver":"6.0",
"mos":0,"q":null,"osid":null,"state":null,"volume":100,"hl":"en_US","cr":"GB","len":"3600.101","fexp":"914072,924619,930008,934026,939937,945042","
allowed":"1_2_1,1_1,1_3,2_2_1,2_1,2_3","vct":"80.927","vd":"3600.101","vpl":"0.000-80.927,","vbu":"0.000-106.344,","vpa":true,"vsk":false,"vpr":1,"vrs":4,"vns":1,"vec":null,"debug_videoId":"jO-EBdHu5Yw","debug_playbackQuality":"medium","debug_date":"Mon Jun 16 2014 14:14:19 GMT+0100 (GMT Daylight Time)"}[/code]
I will test an HD file over the network later (to compare)
TORPC
Grafter

I have installed an extra 1GB of Ram & the same result , so it looks most likely the connection with YouTube, that is causing the (choppiness)
Will defo have to test a hd Video file over the network later
TORPC
Grafter

After installing the Youtube app
I have again watched "Waterfalls of the World" (+Music)1 HR Healing Nature Relaxation Video 1080p with Musc via the NowTV Roxu 2400SK, no choppiness at all
(That said, I can not see a way to see what default resolution it is set to, atm, if at all possible)
I have put together images of the B.I.O.S setup, which includes the temperatures after being on for over 24hrs, for anyone that may be interested  they can be viewed here
TORPC
Grafter

For clarity + we like the video & think it is worthy of a purchase
We have purchased the Personal HD 1080P version of the "Waterfalls of the World" (+Music)1 HR Healing Nature Relaxation Video 1080p with Musc & I can confirm that across the network there is no choppiness / lag of any kind, (smooth as silk) is more an appropriate phrase.
It has been on constant, for a good few days, & considering the room temperature (without the Central Heating being on) @ 250 C, the EeeBox PC stays cool & is very silent
After rebooting into the B.I.O.S to get the onboard reported temps, I wasn't surprised to see the same temps as & when it was setup