Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radiator Bleed Valve

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Radiator Bleed Valve

My central heating system is at least 15 years old... and some of the squared ends on the bleed valves have rounded off, over that period of time..

Looking on ebay for replacements, I was expecting to find just the square ended screw bit that you loosen off, to bleed the radiator with.. but... it seems you have to buy the "housing" that goes into the radiator itself.. in other words, you have to replace the whole valve unit, rather than just the square ended bit..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radiator-Bleeding-Valves-Key-Quality-Brass-1-8-1-4-1-2-BSP-Plumbing-Tool/...

as most things "plumbing" are standard threads now, this should not present a problem on relatively new stuff,... so I`m wondering, rather than trying to remove the old "housing" if I can just replace the square headed screw bit,  (I.E. cannibalise one from the newly supplied one) but wonder if the thread on that would be "standard" as well, or,... perhaps it would (could) be different per manufacturer of said replacement "housing"...

Any ideas ?

(I`m figuring that with the age of the rads/system, any thread on the housing to main radiator would be pretty well solid due to corrosion and would therefore, present a big problem trying to remove the old one.)

9 REPLIES 9
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: Radiator Bleed Valve

Hi @shutter 

The people on https://www.diynot.com/ are really helpful and cover everything DIY. Well worth posting there.

Dave

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@shutter 

This page suggests that there is more than one type  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Mixed-Pack-Radiator-BLEED-SCREW-AIR-VALVE-VENT-Steel-Radiators/3244051...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter  My radiator bleed screws can be turned either by the traditional bleed key or with a flat bladed screwdriver.  Could you cut a screwdriver slot across the head of your rounded screws ?, perhaps with a Dremel thin saw disc attachment.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1   Hmm.... interesting.... however... the thread looks the same on all of them.... only differences I can see, is the length and shape of the "Pointy" ends... Just double checked... and maybe a couple of different sizes diameter wise ! 0

@Anonymous   The actual valve part is shrounded on the radiator moulding... not a separate (larger 15mm) screw in section... so difficult to get a hacksaw in ( no dremmel machine ! ! ) .

Putting a slot in, might.... just might weaken the square end, and it could break off, rendering the whole thing useless..

I can get a pair of long nose pliers on the square end on most of them, but a couple on the "double" radiators don`t want to shift.. so can`t get that half bled through properly..

Thanks for all the info, guys...  SmileyWink

Baldrick1

@shutter 

See https://www.bleedscrews.co.uk/radiator-bleed-screws/

Take one out and compare.

Moderator and Customer

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1   Thanks for that linky.... Excellent information... even gives the thread details... t.p.i.  etc.. so I should be able to sort something...

Meahwhile... @Mayfly has given me an link  ( on another forum )... for an ebay seller, that shows "something like" what is fitted to my rads, so have ordered a couple to see what gives.. and hope that they are the right one`s... ! ..

Thanks for all the help and info, guys..  Wink

Baldrick1

@shutter 

I had no idea there were so many variations. I can imagine that many are so close that the threads would tend to bind before the pointed head locates properly and would weep.

Moderator and Customer

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  this is the linky Mayfly gave.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323723340379

if you use the > arrow on the small pics it shows the type of rads that the different type of valve uses and changes the "description" in the choice box accordingly....

I have gone for the basic 1/8th inch standard type...

cheers

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can probably get away with bleeding the highest radiator in the house - that's where the air tends to accumulate.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."