cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RPI internet connection sharing.. - without dnsmasq ?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

RPI internet connection sharing.. - without dnsmasq ?

I've got the rpi connected via wifi (yeah i do frequently say i don't like wifi but i'm not allowed an ethernet cable). I want to use the ethernet port on it to connect my network switch, printer and 2 computers to the internet through the RPi.

On Windows this is straight forward. On Raspbian, every guide out there wants me to install dnsmasq so that it can act as a dns and dhcp server - in effect, a router behind a router.

On Windows, you bridge the two connections and the OS forwards all the IP packets to where ever they need to go. On Raspbian i want it to work the same way - I don't need another dns and dhcp server, I just want the traffic to flow through the RPi while another device does my DHCP and DNS (the router or my main PC when it's on).

So, how can i bridge the two network adapters together and get packets flowing through them autonomously like windows ICS without using dnsmasq?

Many thanks

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Re: RPI internet connection sharing.. - without dnsmasq ?

@7up https://blog.chaucery.com/2013/02/raspberry-pi-wireless-bridge.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7up
Community Veteran

Thanks - i'll give that a try later. Can't do it now as i'm off for the jab soon.. interesting site though, had no idea southeastern was owned by the french and london underground by the germans.

Worrying that other governments are literally running parts of our country.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Dnsmasq accepts DNS queries and either answers them from a small, local, cache or forwards them to a real, re‐
       cursive,  DNS  server.  It loads the contents of /etc/hosts so that local hostnames which do not appear in the
       global DNS can be resolved and also answers DNS queries for DHCP configured hosts.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

7up
Community Veteran

I'm aware of what dnsmasq does @VileReynard however I don't need a second dns resolver. I also don't need a second dhcp server handing out IP addresses in a different range when i need my devices to be accessible from the outside internet. Yes i could set it to use the same subnet however I've already got my IP addressing setup the way I want.

Trying to convince me that dnsmasq is all happy, friendly and the way forward isn't going to work. You have completely misunderstood my opening post - I do not need a secondary router, i just need it to work as a bridge between ethernet and wifi.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have to admit to misreading your question; sorry.

Dnsmasq is definitely not suitable!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."