Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Question Re: 2704n as access point

GG
Grafter

Quick Question Re: 2704n as access point

Just a quick question this time..
Is it possible to use the Sagem/Sagemcom 2704n as an access point and if so, what are the required settings?
Just curious as it is sat here doing nothing and I could always use another Wireless AP given concrete and Re-Bar walls within the property.
4 REPLIES 4
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Quick Question Re: 2704n as access point

Practically all routers can be used as access points by:
1.  Turn off the DHCP server on the AP
2.  Change the management IP address of the AP to something outside the DHCP scope of the main router but on the same subnet eg 192.168.x.250
3.  Connect the AP to the main router via a LAN port.  Do not use the WAN port on the AP
4.  Optional - Set the SSID and WPA details of the AP to the same as the main router if you want to 'roam' between units
5.  Optional - Set the wireless channel of the AP for best roaming.  Some find setting to a different channel from the main router works well, I find that setting it to the same channel works best.  There is no *right* answer here - Just experiment.
Hope this helps?
GG
Grafter

Explains it nicely, thanks pwatson.
The plan was to run some Cat6 UTP from my switch to the other room on a wall plate, so I could hook-up a wireless AP where the wireless signal is weakest.
At least now, I can try and put the 2704n to use, rather than have it take up valuable storage space.
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Were you able to disable DHCP on the 2704N?  I couldn't see any way to change IP or DHCP at all.
GG
Grafter

I did manage it as it happens... Only after flashing a new firmware though.