cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem sending Plus Net emails from Gmail Alias account

JonH1
Hooked

Re: Problem sending Plus Net emails from Gmail Alias account

Just had a response from a 'platinum product expert' on the gmail community site. He/she says :

The message is clear:
The response from the remote server was:
554 avasout06 smtp ESMTP server not available (blacklisted by local policy)

The SMTP server you are connecting to, not Google, is blocking your messages. The Plus net administrators are the only ones who can explain it.

As someone said earlier, PN and Google are going to bounce this issue backwards and forwards and avoid getting to the root cause.  

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@JonH1 wrote: Naive question: Does the  avasoutxx server  belong to Gmail or PN?? 

As in my link above. The server is Plusnets. Presumably you've read this?

I must admit, I'm a bit confused really but what is the benefit of sending and receiving Plusnet emails via Gmail? I have a fair number of email addresses (aliases too) hosted by various companies and yet I don't have any problems having those set up to send and receive directly from the associated server. They all come into Gmail on my phone. Even on the desktop, I don't use Plusnets servers, again I receive and sent direct. So why use Google mail server as a 3rd party agent?

As @VileReynard mentions maybe you are falling foul of the tightening up of level of authorisation required to send email via Plusnet servers. All to do with controlling spam, of course. Smiley

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
glkeswick
Hooked

@idonno to answer your question, the reason I like to route email from Gmail out through the PN servers is because I prefer to receive all my emails from various non-Gmail accounts into my Gmail inbox and work on them there. At the same time I prefer not to give out my Gmail account name so if I receive an email into my Gmail inbox which was addressed to, say, myaccount@non_gmail.com I want to be able to reply to that email as if my reply originates from myaccount@non_gmail.com rather than from myaccount@gmail.com. And that's what 'Send mail as' is there for in Gmail. But if there's another way of acheiving the same thing I'm more than happy to try it out.

@VileReynard - you may well be right that PN should never have allowed Gmail to route outgoing messages through their servers, but the point is that for years they *DID* so while I'm fine if PN wants to start tightening up on what is allowed it would be good if they could publicise their intention to do so. Maybe they did and maybe I missed it. I'm not sore about it - I was just hoping this was a solvable issue, but as it appears not then it's time for me to look into alternatives to carry on working the way I like to.

***Update - I *DID* see the email from PN which @Idonno referred to and my settings were already correct so there was nothing for me to do to retain the ability to use PN mail servers for outbound email from Gmail. By definition I think the PN email also confirms that routing messages from other mail services through PN servers is not frowned upon.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.
RodentNoir

I have this same issue as well.  Been happening for two days - 14th and 15th Aug 2019 - so far.  Using Gmail 'Send As' to send from a PN email address.   I am getting the exact same messages pasted here by others.  

I have been using this feature for years with no problem.  I have read the email put out earlier this year from PN about outgoing server settings.  My settings checked at that time and been working fine.  

I am using relay.plus.net port 25 unsecured. Plusnet username and password are required so I assume they are used for authentication - It doesn't work at all if you remove the login credentials. 

I find that I can successfully send emails from the Gmail web interface (via Chrome on two different desktop Windows PCs).  But using the Gmail App on an iPhone and an iPad sent messages are rejected with the error returns we're all experiencing.  

Still looking for a solution.  I'm puzzled why it should be OK from the Gmail web client but not from the Gmail App.  The Gmail settings are global across all platforms. 

**EDIT** It seems the problem is intermittent.  I was able to send a few emails but then the issue returned.  Obviously no change to settings or anything like that that could account for the change.  Also no change of network, device, or WiFi connection etc.  

jm2

I also found it worked for a while last night. I wondered if it depended which email server (avasoutxx) you get - i.e. some are blocked and others are not.

JonH1
Hooked

I'm getting the problem on all devices (Gmail app on androids and Windows PC Chrome)  though the latter has been more of  a recent problem. 

Picking up another comment I wonder if it's possible to specify which server we can use?! 

Jon 

James_F_H

I will shortly be leaving Plusnet and moving to another ISP (Community Fibre).

They don't offer email services so I will need to find a new third-party provider for SMTP so I can continue to run my email in the way I do at present.

Does anyone have suggestions of how to gain access to affordable well-supported SMTP other than as part of a general ISP service?

JonH1
Hooked

Was away from home last week and all of a sudden it started working again! It's still OK now that I've been home a few days....so fingers crossed it continues. 

Reason for the recovery is not clear. Is it possible that someone in PN or Google tweaked my settings somehow having read the inputs on the community sites?!   

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hey All,

I got this raised with our NetOps team to investigate further, to see if there's anything we can do from our side to help. Although it looks like sending emails from a Google Alias account is starting to work again by itself.

If anyone gets this issue again feel free to shout up and I'll let our NetOps team know.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
glkeswick
Hooked

@JonH1 - yes, it's working for me again too without me changing a thing. As you say, probably somebody from PN or Google changed something back to what it was and we're all good again. It's just so frustrating that whoever it is in Google or PN who fixed this will probably never post a description of what was broken, why it was broken and how it got fixed. That way we could all go straight to the source of the problem next time it occurs (which it surely will because this is the second time it has happend in my experience).

@Gandalf - thanks for stepping up to offer help next time.

Dolcetta
Hooked

Something similar is happening again with this issue.

You no longer have access to xxx@xxx.plus.com. To send this email, choose a different ‘from’ address and try again. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en-GB

I folllowed the advice to delete my plusnet 'send as' account and re-enter the details.

However, nothing I enter is getting accepted by gmail so have completely lost this function - which has worked for more than 16 years! 

Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
Server returned an error: "535 ...authentication rejected , code: 535"

Can anyone help?

JonH1
Hooked

Hi Dolcetta, Interesting that you post this now. Mine has been working fine since it was fixed in 2019, but 

a couple of weeks ago I had the same problem. I thought of reposting the issue again here, but it only lasted a couple of days and then corrected itself. If yours does not right itself,  worth asking the PN tech guys again through this forum. I was never sure last time whether the issue was at the Google or PN end, and nobody said what the technical fix was, but somebody did something to get it working again.

Very frustrating when you rely on this working. I'll keep an eye on mine and highlight if there are more problems. Best of luck!

Jon   

Dolcetta
Hooked

Thanks Jon - there are at least 130 gmail users reporting this problem this month, so suspect it's at that end!

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/130325307/send-mail-from-gmail-got-you-no-longer-have-access-...

I hope it resolves for me too!

Cheers,

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'm betting that Gmail is complaining about the level of authentication provided by Plusnet.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."