Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preserving part used printer ink cartridges

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Preserving part used printer ink cartridges

I need to "store" a printer, for which I have recently purchased new cartridges.... the printer is going to be stored in the shed.... (inside a double wrap of black sack!)... however, I am concerned about the printer cartridges, (which in this model has the print head integral)....
When originally purchased, these come with a "sort of" plastic type protection, which is taped over the actual print head. and the unit is then inserted in a plastic carrier, which has a foam pad to protect the head, (and possibly to help prevent loss of ink due to the pressure of the clip-on carrier.)
I have tried to use sellotape , by back sticking (?)  , a small piece of sellotape to prevent the gooey bit sticking on the head... but this does not seem to work too well..
anyone got any other ideas, how to prevent the loss of ink, and also how to prevent the clogging up of the print head, due to exposure to the elements.
18 REPLIES 18
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Preserving part used printer ink cartridges

Shutter,
I don't know the answer to your question but I guess someone on the following website could advise you,
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php
We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the linky, .... some interesting posts on the forum there... will keep it bookmarked.... but nothing about preserving cartridges...
Wink
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I Guess you have already considered using good quality cling film to wrap the cartridges ?
No ideas about the printer head but your software will have a Printer maintenance menu including a test page to check out the print pattern when you come to use the printer again.
If you can't clear the printer heads with the software supplied there is plenty of info on the link previously mentioned about how to do this but hopefully you will not need to resort to this.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You could store the cartridges separately, indoors, where you can give them better care.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Gleneagles.... thanks for the tip about clingfilm..... never thought of that..
Foxy.... Yup... good idea... they will be kept indoors to keep them in a more "controlled" temperature.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recently I was asked to look at an apparently faulty Kodak printer with this sort of arrangement, and I think storing your ink cartridges in clingfilm indoors should be OK.
However you will probably want to do the same thing with the head (which you will need to remove).
The one I was looking at, because it was infrequently used, the head had dried and become blocked - and no amount of cleaning would get it back to a satisfactory working state.  Cry
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: A
You could store the cartridges separately, indoors, where you can give them better care.

Wrap in clingfilm, inside a tightly sealed plastic box.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I try to print out each day, just a test print if nothing else to print, to stop the cartridges drying out.
Like this, do your own version, this is an unsharp image.
Your own created will be much sharper. I use TextEdit on iMac.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anonymous
Not applicable

In principle you would think doing a daily print to keep your printer 'fresh' would be a good idea.
When I was working on the previously mentioned Kodak printer, I was puzzled at how quickly the ink levels were falling.
OK I was taking out the head for washing, then realigning it, so I expected some usage, but then I noticed that the levels were dropping each time I switched the printer on WITHOUT printing anything.
I Googled this issue, and discovered that EVERY time the printer starts, it does a quick head clean before printing and uses around 3% of the ink each time.
In addition, if you manually invoked the head cleaning utility, or the head alignment procedure, the printer wastes around 10% of the ink.
So if you did a daily printout just to keep the head clean - as suggested, you could waste 3% per day, and therefore would need new set of cartridges in just one month, having not printed anything useful.
Kodak claim that they have the cheapest ink costs but it probably only applies if you do all your printing in one continuous run and don't switch the printer off or let it go into standby.   Crazy
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I do know that when you switch on the printer, it does a head clean, however, I don`t know how much ink is used, as I think it just "wipes" the head with a sort of small rubber wiper blade, to remove any excess ink that has "eased" it`s way out through gravity, since the last use.... (it seems to be mainly the black that does this)...
Purleigh.... nice idea to remove the print head.... but... you missed this ...... Undecided

however, I am concerned about the printer cartridges, (which in this model has the print head integral)....

Cheesy
Not sure what it is ,.... but I have a dislike for Kodak.... (anything)...  Lips_are_sealed
(I have the same issue with Vauxhall cars too! )  Roll_eyes
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've realised that since the children left school, I've never really needed colour.
So for little more than a set of black and colour cartridges, I've bought a monochrome laser (£50 including toner cartridge).
Print quality and speed is much better and laser toners don't dry up.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shutter : I didn't miss that, as I would be surprised if the head isn't a simple thing to remove, as these 'integral head' printers usually list replacement heads on the manufacturers website, and they normally just unclip using a simple sprung lever arrangement.
What is the make and model of printer you are trying to store ?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Quote from: A
I've realised that since the children left school, I've never really needed colour.
So for little more than a set of black and colour cartridges, I've bought a monochrome laser (£50 including toner cartridge).
Print quality and speed is much better and laser toners don't dry up.
Was the toner cartridge a full size one ? (Full meaning the amount of toner in the cartridge rather than physical size) Sometimes there is just enough toner for a few hundred pages & the cost of replacement cartridges is similar to the price you paid for the printer.
When emptying the used toner mind you don't spill any or if you do never use a vacuum cleaner on it as it will clog the motor.
shutter
Community Veteran

@ Purleigh.... Ooops.... still got it mixed up.... Undecided
the printer cartridge........ has the printer head integral......
and cannot be replaced, unless replacing the cartridge..
The model in question is the HP 840C... my HP 5490 also has the integral print head on the cartridges. (as I think all HP cartridges do)...
scroll down the following page,
http://www.expresscartridgesupplies.co.uk/HP%20Refill%20Instructions.htm
to see this
51645A/G &C6615D/A  
which shows a black cartridge in the "Upside down" position, ready for refill actions....
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand now  Embarrassed
Those cartridges will store for ages if kept airtight, but if you find them printing a bit rough when you use them again, then try a little dab of water on a tissue (or cotton bud) to wipe over the head surface - that usually works wonders  Wink