cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet router and TPLink Powerline adaptors

Dee566

Plusnet router and TPLink Powerline adaptors

Hi,

I have my router connected to a powerline network using TPLink WPA4220's giving out a WIFI signal around a large house. I want to connect some Teckin smart plugs to the system which only work with 2.4 GHZ. I cannot connect the plugs unless I turn off the 5GHZ setting on the router. Are the powerline adaptors re-transmitting both a 2.4 and 5GHZ signal? If they are, why can't my plug pick out the 2.4 GHZ unless I turn off the 5 GHZ? Am I missing something.

I am loath to set up 2 networks (2.4 and 5 GHZ) as my network allows for seamless roaming (cloned SSID) and 2 separate networks will interfere with this.

Any thoughts guys?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Plusnet router and TPLink Powerline adaptors

@Dee566  Welcome to the forum.

Why can't you connect to the extenders without switching off the 5GHz band?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dee566

I can generally, but in the case of these new smart plugs, which only work on 2.4GHZ, they just will not connect unless I turn off the 5GHZ. Its almost as if the 5G part of the signal is overpowering the 2.4 when it comes out of the extender but I guess thats not technically possible?

Baldrick1

@Dee566 

Can we start again. I assume that you have the non wireless unit of the powerline pair plugged in locally to your router via an Ethernet cable? The remote wireless unit is located elsewhere?

Now what is it that will not connect with which unit (router or extender) unless you presumably switch off the router 5GHz band? Is it that you can't clone the extender with the router WiFi? If it's this then you do realise that you have to plug the wireless unit in close to the router when cloning and then move it away? Are you using the WPS buttons for cloning?

I have a friend who is using these devices without problems.

Edit.

@Dee566 

Refering to your first post, these devices are single band so can't possibly retransmit 5GHz.

Moderator and Customer

Dee566

Hi,

I have been using the TBLink set up for many years without any appreciable problems. The non wireless unit is plugged into the router. The other units are dotted about the house and are all cloned. Everything works fine. When I have tried to set up the smart plugs, which only work on 2.4GHZ, it will not connect to the network unless I turn off the 5GHZ band on the router. I'm baffled!

Baldrick1

@Dee566 

It sounds like the smart plugs are trying to connect to the dual band router. Can you not force them to connect to one of the satellites by putting one close to the smart plug.Whether the 5GHz transmissions upset the smart plugs depends on the quality of the plugs. It shouldn't but....

Alternatively as most of your house only has 2.4 GHz connectivity why not give up on the 5GHz band?

Moderator and Customer