Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub One

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Plusnet Hub One

Oh no it isn't, if that thing is based on the HH5A you are a damn site better off with the 5B.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Horse for courses. I wasn't better off with the 5B due to this problem.
I can take a couple of hundred kbps downstream decrease/minor latency increase in favour of my port forwards working as intended.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, that comment makes it sound almost as bad as the 2704N Shocked
But interesting, I'll have to see if I can replicate the problem sometime. Thanks for the pointer.
But the trial profile you are on with the type A isn't due to be rolled out until next year if I've understood what I've read elsewhere correctly?
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Plusnet Hub One will be available to existing customers from the 17th December and at a incredibly extortionate cost of £80!
BT Hub 5 from a well known site being sold brand new for £30 - £50 price range and a few are Type B's.
Also I don't like the look of the new hub one. It looks cheap and tacky and what's up with that grey box thing under the light?Huh
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I thought the revised DLM profiles for things that don't support G.INP on the upstream were rolled out months ago.
Still no official word as to why the 5A hasn't had a firmware update to enable G.INP support in both directions.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: NorthEasterner
Plusnet Hub One will be available to existing customers from the 17th December and at a incredibly extortionate cost of £80!
BT Hub 5 from a well known site being sold brand new for £30 - £50 price range and a few are Type B's.
Also I don't like the look of the new hub one. It looks cheap and tacky and what's up with that grey box thing under the light?Huh
NE

given the price tag of the BT branded hh5 in dabs.com is £130 and cheaper than the home hub 4 @£110 if performance is identical then in comparison its a steal having such a lower price tag .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes but I was stating that the alternative BT Hub 5 is cheaper due to many selling their unused on the likes of eBay, Amazon, Gumtree etc.
So I'd rather go for the nicer looking one etc.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

and pretty much as soon as plusnet start giving them out people will be doing the same with this one as well (hard to flog something if there's no stock of it), also the hh5 isn't exactly the same as the PlusNet hub one at the very least it will have a different UI screen customisation /
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The price point and date isn't fully confirmed, nor set in stone yet for existing customers, so please don't take that as such.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: ejs
I thought the revised DLM profiles for things that don't support G.INP on the upstream were rolled out months ago.

That's what I thought too, although I've not really been keeping abreast of developments.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: ejs
Still no official word as to why the 5A hasn't had a firmware update to enable G.INP support in both directions.

But then I suppose we should consider the possibility that the Plusnet Hub One has had such an update since we are all expecting it to have customised firmware.
However, the whole G.INP issue is complicated enough with how different users are being affected that I've given up trying to follow it, more so because clear explanations have not been forthcoming from Plusnet in a lot of cases - even a denial that there's a problem and the usual cop-out of "oh it's cross-talk".
My understanding was than the majority of users affected (and that maybe wrong) were mainly those using ECI Modems (or other non-G.INP capable Modems) on Huawei Cabs. And that the "roll-out" was to those specific lines to remove G.INP.
I also believed that the ECI Modems (and some others) do not support G.INP on the upstream (I believed that was hardware problem) and that a similar situation existed with ECI Cabs - and it's the changes that are to "better" cope with that which are due to be rolled out next year.
It would be nice if someone from Plusnet could clarify the whole issue - even poor Bob isn't sure Wink
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think what happened was that when G.INP was first enabled on Huawei cabs, it got enabled on both the downstream and the upstream simultaneously. Devices that didn't support G.INP both down and up got high levels of FEC and interleaving instead (certainly on the upstream, possibly also on the downstream even if G.INP was supported on the downstream). Then the DLM adjustments were rolled out to all Huawei cabs, and lots of people with e.g. the HG612 lost G.INP from the upstream, and only got upstream G.INP enabled again if the DLM determined it was necessary. The other people, with e.g. the ECI modems or HH5A, got the high level of interleaving removed from their upstream.
Someone has made an OpenWRT firmware image for ECI modems that supports G.INP both up and down. Possibly the ECI modems didn't get a firmware update because they were intended to be used on ECI cabs, and ECI cabs will not be able to do upstream G.INP. In addition, the ECI modems aren't going to be supported for much longer, so perhaps nobody wanted to spend the time/effort/expense of developing or testing a new firmware.
I think the Plusnet Hub One will have firmware very similar to the HH5A, but with different branding, default settings and BTWifi removed.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Chris
The price point and date isn't fully confirmed, nor set in stone yet for existing customers, so please don't take that as such.

you say it's not for existing customers.
yet when i choose the upgrade package option and select FTTC, it says the Hub One is what i'd get.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Strange, I've just been through the upgrade process and it's showing the Hub Zero. Any chance you can screenshot it for me (removing any username etc).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Does it make a difference what you are upgrading from (ADSL or an old FTTC package)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)