Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Office - Writer - cancel "over-write" facility

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Open Office - Writer - cancel "over-write" facility

Is there a way to cancel the over-write facility ?  Yes, you can "undo" the over-write, but there does not seem to be a way to stop it from working in the first place.

E.G. if I make a mistake on here, I can delete it, set the cursor to where I want to rewrite and it works, on the Open Office, it overwrites all the text following, which makes it difficult to correct a typo or change a word in a sentence.

11 REPLIES 11
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Open Office - Writer - cancel "over-write" facility

Fix

Perhaps you've inadvertently pressed the 'Insert' key on your keyboard?

PS I suspect the insert key will be relevant, but another question which could have been solved by a quick Google.  

shutter
Community Veteran

Perhaps I didn`t.

I have been using Open Office for years...  this has happened today ona "new" document . and never happened before.

Never used the keyboard "insert" key... did not even know it was there - it`s too far out of reach from normal keyboard touch typing to have been pressed by accident

Your response does not mention how to cancel the overwrite  - so is not exactly helpful

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

See my edit above.

shutter
Community Veteran

Edit noted.

shutter
Community Veteran

Interestingly, without touching the Insert key, either before or after said document above.

I re-opened the document and the overwrite was not working... edited the text as "normal" same as on here

Opened a "New" document  ( as I did with said document above) and typed a line, then went to correct it, but no overwrite was actioned.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

I was about to make a further suggestion of pressing the 'insert' key again to toggle the function off following your edit asking how to do so, but then I noticed you'd 'fixed your own problem' yet again!  Roll_eyes

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@shutter wrote:

Opened a "New" document  ( as I did with said document above) and typed a line, then went to correct it, but no overwrite was actioned.

I don't use that software but I suspect there may be a setting somewhere to enable using the insert key for overwriting.

If so, and it's enabled, pressing the insert key would toggle it on or off.

shutter
Community Veteran

Technically, I did "fix my own problem"... as I never touched the Insert Key, (either before or after)  as mentioned.

See message number 6

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

If you say so @shutter Roll_eyes Roll_eyes

I couldn't possibly imagine that you'd think it was any other way. Roll_eyes

Keep digging!  Thumbs_Up

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Excuse resurrection, but have you considered replacing Openoffice with its sister or successor Libreoffice? We did this last year after reading that OOff is no longer upgraded, something about differences among developers ...  Libreoffice works the same way but seems less clunky. 

shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I have tried Libreoffice... and it does work in a SIMILAR way...  If I recall, the way their is a difference in the way the pages work, that I could not get used to..

Not bothered about updates and support..... if it works... don`t fix it...  and it works for me, Thanks Wink