Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 10 update ARGGGG

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: New windows 10 update ARGGGG

@ReedRichards wrote:

Off topic but does anybody else find @VileReynard 's giant spider a bit annoying?  As humans we are programmed to pay attention to moving objects and I find it hard to attend to content when there is a large moving object in my field of view.  The continuous motion isn't so bad but the jump back from right to left as the animation restarts I find particularly distracting.  

yes, and the moving eyes animation he/she is now using is just as annoying.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I preferred the spider Tongue

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I'll look into it.

Here is a temporary extra-small image.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

This "Anniversary" update is a disaster for me.  I was forced to upgrade to 10 last September due to hardware failure. My reluctance had been that my entire life revolves around Outlook 2000 - yes very old but very good, and all my history since 1998 is locked up in its *.pst files.  I knew that it would not work with 7 and 8, but to my great relief it worked with 10, and I have been a happy bunny ever since, until last week.  Uninvited, my pc updated to "Anniversary" and guess what ?  Outlook insisted that I re-install the programme.  I was not prepared to take that risk, in case it did not work, and it would have involved hours of time in re-setting all my links and *.pst files.  Several other legacy programmes also stopped working.  So I tried to "Restore" to an earlier version, which thank goodness worked.  I was back and running.

Now my fear is that this will happen again.  Is there any way that I can stop this happening or will I put myself at risk with out-of-date security and bug-fixes etc. if I keep restoring to the earlier version ?

The next worry is that I bought a new desktop to supplement the new laptop three months ago which I have put off installing !  If I install the new desktop, will it automatically upgrade to "Anniversary" and then find myself back at square one ?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My question is: "Is the problem really with the 1607 version of Windows 10 or did the update just go wrong and lose some files?"  The Windows 10 numbered updates (the new equivalent to a Service Pack) are downplayed by Microsoft and I doubt that there is the intention to cause them to render software obsolete.  In principle what runs on Windows 10 runs on Windows 10, any version.

I think it's likely that had you installed Outlook 2000 on top of your existing copy it would have re-used your existing files and settings.  AFAIK Outlook.pst can be opened by any (newer) version of Outlook, if it ever comes to that. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've not read this entire thread and this post is based on the reply above but if you've got a broken update try this command from an admin command prompt.

dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
VileReynard
Hero

Unfortunately, given a free Windows 10 - but forced to apply their upgrades, you no longer have any control over it.

Is it true that if you tell Windows 10 you are on a dial-up internet connection, it won't send you any upgrades - unless you ask for them???

Alternatively, have you considered setting up a Windows Virtual Machine on your desktop machine, using one of the legal (time limited) free images of Windows XP as a basis. You could try a re-(install) of Outlook & see how it copes with your *.pst files. If it works then good, but if it fails you have good cause to worry.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-windows-xp-for-free-and-legally-straight-from-microsoft-si/

I did this (for other reasons) for Windows 8 running in a Linux box and it works OK.

In any case take frequent backups of your *.pst files, using Windows version agnostic backup software - e.g. copying to USB sticks would be a good idea. This would allow you to move to a different OS, should you choose to.

shermans
Pro

Thanks for the re-assurance about that.  Now, I have just checked and see that I am running Windows 10 Home, Version 1511, Build 10586.545.  From what you say, that is no longer the "Anniversary" version.  So how do I try to update to the "Anniversary" version ?  I assumed it would try to do it again automatically.

You may well be right that the update just went wrong.  I am at present at my house in France with an exciting ADSL connection speed of 516k (if I am lucky), and the update grabbed my laptop for an inordinate amount of time.  So during the download at that speed, it may have lost a few bytes.  I am going back to the UK on Wednesday, so I might be wise to wait  until I am connected to Plusnet again before re-trying the update.

robski1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

If you want to get the Anniversary edition when you get back to the UK, go to this page:-  "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history" There is a big blue button that lets you download the update. Beware though, it is a big file.

Good luck.

PeeGee
Pro

I have a couple of systems still on Win7, both with an upgrade to Win10 backup disk image, which use unsupported hardware and a triple boot laptop (Win7 (mbv), Linux, Win10) that I'm using to convince myself that Win10 is usable - Classic Shell certainly helps there.

I have just updated the laptop Win10 and met the (expected, as a result of the AU experience) "I cannot an handle an update of a multi-boot system" update failure. Making the Win10 partition active allows the updates to install successfully and resetting the "extended partition" as active allows the normal GRUB boot sequence to run.

Just a reminder for anyone having problems.

Phil

mbv = Manufacturer's Bloatware Version

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

None of my windows PCs (desktop laptop or ancient netbook) have been offered the update. Why would that be please?

PeeGee
Pro

Is that an update to Win10 or of Win10? In my case, both of these options were manually initiated as I have both ethernet and wireless set as metered connections for Win10* (3G and 4G are metered by default). IIRC, if you connect by wireless and metering is on that will delay any updates until you turn it off or override it by initiating a manual update.

Phil

* The AU and subsequent updates seem to get confused by this setting (for ethernet?) and start a download loop without doing anything Crazy3

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
VileReynard
Hero

@the_groundsman wrote:

None of my windows PCs (desktop laptop or ancient netbook) have been offered the update.

That would be a good thing. Your PC's will expire before the current software on them does.

the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I like Win10 so upgraded when it was available last year but found the upgrade from 8.1 messy and ended up doing a clean install on a couple of occasions. I'm now waiting for the anniversary update. 

materialman
Rising Star

@shermans wrote:

This "Anniversary" update is a disaster for me.

[snip]

The next worry is that I bought a new desktop to supplement the new laptop three months ago which I have put off installing !  If I install the new desktop, will it automatically upgrade to "Anniversary" and then find myself back at square one ?

I also (force) applied the anniversary update a couple days ago. Seemed OK initially, but my god it took about 3 hours!. Then I noticed internet was not there, PC being ethernet connected only. (Internet to the phone on wifi was OK). It would work occasionally for a few minutes or longer perhaps after a restart, but t was mostly broken. I could not even get the pc to talk to the router to reboot it in case it was that (it wasn't of course). Had to do a hard restart. No change.

Also clicking the Network icon would say "no internet" other times "connected". A Airplane mode icon was there sometimes too, which is not possible with no Airplane mode available in "Network and Internet" Settings.

So convinced this was entirely down to the anniversary update I rolled back to version 1511 and all fine now. I should probably add I upgraded from 7 to 10 just before the free upgrade ended with no problems

.How can I prevent an automatic update if that is likely to happen now?