cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New windows 10 update ARGGGG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New windows 10 update ARGGGG

This would appear to be correct @Browni as I've been waiting at 57% download on 1607 for well over 100 minutes now, and no sign of it moving on!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Why doesn't it just do a total refresh install - got to be quicker. Crazy3

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep @VileReynard it's absolutely bonkers, and as I type I can see the Windows machine is still at 57% FFS!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that's just over the 3 hour mark for me to download and install the latest cumulative update (1607, aka KB3189866), it really make you wonder what it's been doing in all that time!

But at least it's done; well, until the next time!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well I have yet to discover what delights Windows Updates will give me (currently away) but IIRC the 1607 update did take a while to download (which I got manually - mentioned at the beginning of this thread) but I otherwise had no problems with it other than what I previously described. I had one lot of updates to it since (no issues) But I did have one subsequent stupid issue when Notifications told me OneDrive needed an update so I could carry on using it (which I don't currently) and when I told it to continue it told me that I had a newer version which would be uninstalled, so as I didn't have time then to investigate further I just cancelled it!!

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

It has now become a complete mystery to me.  As predicted, Windows 10 updated yesterday automatically.  It took quite a long time, but I did not measure it.  I assumed that it would re-install the Anniversary update which I un-istalled three weeks ago.  However it did not, to my surprise..  The history reads

"Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3185614). Successfully installed on 14/09/2016"

Three weeks ago, my laptop automatically upgraded to the Anniversary version, following which some of my legacy software stopped working.  Of greatest concern to me was that my old faithful Outlook 2000, around which my entire life revolves (as every email I have ever sent or received since  the days of Windows 95 is stored in *.pst files), crashed.  Windows insisted that I re-install Outlook which would have meant hours of setting up folders and short-cuts, only possibly to find that it still did not work.

So instead, I simply restored the system to a previous point, and lo and behold, all the legacy software started to work again, and has continued to do so.  I was therefore in fear and trepidation of this latest update, assuming naturally that it would once again install Anniversary.  But as I have seen, it did not but simply updated 1511.

I have seen references here to version 1607 and wonder if that is the number of Anniversary.  So why am I still running 1511 ?  It is all very curious., although I am relieved for the time being, at least.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

i commented yesterday about the length of time it took to install on my desktop. That's nothing compared to my laptop. Started last night about 9pm and it's still going this morning at 10am.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with the issue of software not working after a previous update but oddly I don't have this KB3185614 update in my history so it may be version specific which of course might explain why I have the 1607 update that others don't. For the record my version of Windows is :

Windows 10 Pro N Build 1607

I've yet to see if my software will run on this now updated version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@artmo - Ouch! So are you considering a new laptop then?

shermans
Pro

Here is another interesting thing about the Anniversary update which could explain my last post.  I have just been reading about the roll-out which is phased for different devices.  An early phase is "mobile devices".  Now, when Anniversary automatically downloaded onto my laptop, I was connected by Wi-Fi from my router in another location.  This time, I am at home where I connect directly to my router by ethernet cable.  Could this mean that I am technically no longer a "mobile device" and therefore not yet due for the Anniversary update, even though I am using the same computer ?

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I recommend a non-Windows10 device - such as Linux.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

This article might be of interest.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@NorthPole that link doesn't even mention the problems people are having with the latest update. Perfect example here

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Browni  Thanks for the link. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to have a slow upgrade.

materialman
Rising Star

@materialman wrote:

As I post this Windows is trying and failing (so far) to successfully install a raft of updates for build 1511. It got to 28% earlier then it said it failed.

OK I have updated build 1511 now. From what others have said it seems it won't upgrade to build 1607 automatically (not that I'm keen to) on ethernet.