Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Telephone

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

New Telephone

Looks like I am going to be forced into purchasing a new landline telephone.

What I want is a phone with a good clear ansaphone due to my poor hearing and call blocking essential.

Can anyone advise me based on personal experience a good phone to go for ?

NB: The wording ' forced into purchasing' might sound odd but see no alternative, I have tried to block one specific call which we are getting night and day, call blocker is activated but does not block it and PN say they cannot do anything from their end.

I see no other alternative to get some peace.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
10 REPLIES 10
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: New Telephone

@gleneagles wrote:

...I have tried to block one specific call which we are getting night and day, call blocker is activated but does not block it and PN say they cannot do anything from their end.

Is there anything odd about the format of the number?

I've very occasionally seen partial numbers displayed sometimes which were international with some of the prefix (country code etc.) missing, but I recognised the remaining part of the numbers.

Are you able to publish the number here in case anybody can see where a problem blocking it may be occurring?

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

The number is 07946013254

I have checked on 'Who is calling me' and can see it's a EE mobile number

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles 

That number format seems OK.

When it's displayed on your phone are there ever any extra leading zeros?

I'm just wondering if someone is using that number as Caller ID on a VoIP line, which IME sometimes results in getting one or two extra zeros added at the beginning of the number according to the call-routing in force at the time.

I don't know whether that would affect the call-blocking system in use by PN though ...

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles wrote:

Looks like I am going to be forced into purchasing a new landline telephone.

What I want is a phone with a good clear ansaphone due to my poor hearing and call blocking essential.

Can anyone advise me based on personal experience a good phone to go for ?

NB: The wording ' forced into purchasing' might sound odd but see no alternative, I have tried to block one specific call which we are getting night and day, call blocker is activated but does not block it and PN say they cannot do anything from their end.

I see no other alternative to get some peace.

@gleneagles 

Hmmm ....

Just seen this other thread of yours;

Call Blocking

I'd assumed that Call Protect wasn't working on the number in question ... Undecided

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Correct, it's not working which made me wonder if call blocking only works on calls from other landlines ?

However that's irrelevant, all I can do is get another phone, looking at the various reviews it could be a nightmare hence my question about anyone with a phone they can recommend

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@gleneagles Unless there is something weird with that number which no-one is seeing, the PN blocker should catch it, it certainly does for  couple of troublesome mobile numbers I used to get.

John
RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@gleneagles 

Strange, i don't think BT Call Protect excludes mobile numbers so presumably PN CP wouldn't either.

This idea may sound crazy, but Googling the number in question also finds a similar number in Brazil so I guess there's a slim chance that the system is being too clever and wrongly identifying it as a UK mobile and omitting the leading part of the number and displaying the remainder as described in my Post#2 above.

Presumably the PN CP lets you add numbers to your blacklist manually?  If so you could try adding the number but with the leading zeros and country code for Brazil.

After typing the above I looked further down my Google search to see if there were any other countries listed with similar number formats and I spotted Germany and, wait for it ... India.  So my first suspicion would be India.

Maybe you could try the suggestion above but starting with India instead of Brazil.

I know when I tried adding some numbers manually to my BT CP it refused to accept numbers if they're not in a format it expects, so if you try this it may take some trial and error to get the number entered.

If the number is calling as frequently as you said, it wouldn't take long to find out if that had worked.

Good luck!

Edit:  PS  Don't forget to remove the leading zero from the number when adding the prospective international code (and zeros).

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to looking into possible reasons the call is not being blocked.

A ticket has been raised by PN in which they have asked openreach to check why this number is not being blocked.

It will be interesting to see what response comes from openreach.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@gleneagles 

In answer to your request for a recommendation for a new telephone, when you get fed up with playing with the Plusnet offering get a phone with BT Call Guardian such as this: https://shop.bt.com/products/bt4600-premium-nuisance-call-blocker---twin-084666-BY4J.html. They are also available from on-line and high street shops.

It has a hands free option so it should give you all the volume that you could need. I have had an earlier model for many years now and not one unwanted call has got through over all this time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Farrinaf
Grafter

Appreciate I am late to this topic, but rather than a new phone why don't you consider a specific (configurable) call blocking device? They work best when you have a wireless phone system, but can also protect other internal extension phones.

I (and my mother) have been using Truecall very successfully. I can't recall receiving a marketing/spam call in years. Currently its blocking 20% (over 100 calls per year) of my incoming calls.

The only negatives I can come up with is that it requires some configuration to start (adding approved numbers) and access to the web control panel (which I consider essential) is £20 pa

I believe it was featured on "Dragons Den" with much competition by the Dragon's who recognised a good thing when they saw it

More here https://www.truecall.co.uk/