cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PC using Backup & Restore

bobw1943
Grafter

New PC using Backup & Restore

I'm replacing my old Desktop PC which is getting very slow and "glitchy".

It's an old (maybe 8 yrs) Acer with Windows 10 64 bit, 3GB Ram, 500GB HDD.

Backup and Restore is set to operate every week. the backup is on an external HDD

The current size of the backup is 140GB

The replacement PC is a refurb Dell Optiplex which has a 240GB SSD and a 1TB HDD and I'm wondering whether this might somehow complicate the process of using the backup of my old machine.

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: New PC using Backup & Restore

@bobw1943 I assume this 'new' machine has already got an operating system installed? If so, merely copying individual files/folders from your backups shouldn't be any issue - just don't copy EVERYTHING across - that would cause a screw-up.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@bobw1943 

Personally I would never consider this method. The new computer should already be configured with Windows 10, unless you have a full retail version on your old computer AND have exactly the same hardware you can't just restore Windows to a different platform, apart from OEM licences not being transferable you will need different drivers etc.

Make a list of all the applications that you use on your old computer. If they are licenced then download a free application such as Belarc advisor. Run this and extract all the licence numbers and activation codes.  Then do a clean install of these apps after downloading them from the suppliers web site. If some are no longer available then assume that they are no longer supported so find an alternative.

Once you have all the applications you can transfer your user data from the old computer to the new, copying and pasting data into the appropriate directory..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Baldrick1 Good points. I was merely thinking of the personal files, but licensed programs will obviously need that data transferring - I always keep a copy of the licences anyway.

John
bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks for your help.

The new machine does have Windows 10 Pro installed. I upgraded my own machine to Windows 10 Home 64 bit from Windows 7 around 5 years ago. According to the backup info on my present machine it says the backup content is "Files in libraries and personal folders for all users and system image."

Does that information affect your advice?

Baldrick1

@bobw1943 

In a word, no.

It’s a pain I know but by starting again with a clean installation will be less fraught with problems, leave behind a load of dross and make the computer run better.

Moderator and Customer

bobw1943
Grafter

OK, fine.

So next questions....

I assume that the OS will be on the SSD on the new machine. Should I install apps on the SSD or the HDD?

I assume that I should copy the user data to the HDD?

I assume I should continue to use backup and restore to my external HDD after setting up my new PC.

Baldrick1

@bobw1943 

For the best performance, Install the apps on the SSD. All your user data should go on the HDD. For example, if you have a load of photos, your photo app should live on your SSD but all your photos on the HDD. This needs to be configured in the app.

Back up and restore can still be used but I suggest that you store it in a new directory for a bit after which you can delete the old back up without getting confused.

Moderator and Customer

bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks.

In practical terms I had thought I would use my external HDD as the intermediary, copying all my user data from my old machine to it and then copying from it to my new machine. I'm not sure how I could copy directly fro one machine to the other.

Baldrick1

You can use your back up HDD or a USB stick to transfer data. Just copy and paste the data files to/from the transfer device of your choice. I would not use backup and restore for this. 
Again how I would do it is remove the HDD from the old computer and fit it into an external caddy. Then once you have set up your apps on your new computer and have empty directories you can simply plug in your caddy with the old HDD. If for example you have a photos directory set up on your new HDD, which will be empty, you go to the same directory on the external disk. Copy the entire contents of the directory and paste it into the empty one on your new machine.

Moderator and Customer

bobw1943
Grafter

Thanks again.

Regarding apps. I have the exe files still sitting in my downloads folder for a number of apps I use. If I copy these to the new machine will they install the apps again?

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@bobw1943 

If you have both machines running then you can do the move in stages. Get one bit running to your satisfaction and then move on to the next.

I don't do back ups as often as I should but what I do is to "Copy" all data and paste to an external drive. So, for example I'll copy "My Documents", "My Pictures", "My Music" etc and paste so that keeps all directory folders intact. Each time I do it I need to remember to delete the old files before I copy in the new set. I also copy any data held outwith normal locations, eg my Pegasus Mail set up.

This doesn't work for program preserences / setups so eg, you might need to go looking for ".ini" files to copy and paste.

Brian

Baldrick1

@bobw1943 wrote:

Regarding apps. I have the exe files still sitting in my downloads folder for a number of apps I use. If I copy these to the new machine will they install the apps again?

You can but the risk is that there's a newer version available or it's no longer supported so it's time to use something that is still being maintained. If you use the old version then install updates you invariably leave dross on your computer. It is far better to note the program then download the latest version from the originators web site.

All this dross builds up after time, which slows a computer. Evey few years I tend to spend a day or so completely wiping my PC and re-installing all apps that I still am still using from scratch.

Moderator and Customer

bobw1943
Grafter

I suppose the avoidance of dross should be practiced whenever possible. It's just that I recall having to be so careful downloading free software over the years.

Thanks for all your advice, the "new" PC should be delivered tomorrow then I can begin the operation.

Baldrick1

@bobw1943 

The first thing that I install on a fresh PC is a decent security program, I use Kaspersky. I then make sure that every download is checked and take very great care that it doesn't come with other embedded junk. You have to very carefully check the small print where they tend to tell you about the other stuff that comes bundled in.

Moderator and Customer