Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network problem

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Network problem

I have 2 windows 10 system, both running 1803 and up to date. The laptop runs 10home, the desktop runs 10 pro. The issue I have is that whilst the desktop can see both systems on the network, itself and the laptop, the laptop cannot see anything except for the router. Both are on the same workgroup, and network is set to private. File and printer sharing enabled on both, as is password protected sharing. On the laptop I also cannot access administrative sharing, even though I have the password for the desktop. Desktop sees both systems fine. Googling around nothing's working that i have tried. Computer browser services running fine. I am a bit stumped, anyone any idea's

6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Network problem

I expect that the "Home" version is running a crippled W10, so that Pro can justify its higher price.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes @VileReynard

It is true the home based version has fewer features, main one being the home version cannot connect to a network domain.

Although I wouldn't have thought it would stop what the OP is trying to do.

I would try and ipconfig (or ipconfig /all if you want more information), get the private IPs of both devices.

Are you using DHCP, and are they on the same subnet? If they're both connected to the router that should be a yes and fine.

See if you can ping the IP's from the Home IP to the Pro IP so they can see each other there.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Pinging ip works fine. Refuses to let me connect if I try \\192.168.1.xx\c$ just get asked for the password. When I input says access denied.
Can post ipconfigs if helpful.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks @penfold

That pretty much rules it out being a network issue as you can ping it.
To me it sounds like an account permissions issue then.

I don't know Windows 10 as I don't use it - so take this with a pinch of salt. Although I did a bit of searching and came across this which is an interesting read if nothing else:

https://www.ghacks.net/2014/11/12/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-10-administrator-account/

You could try enabling the admin account and see if it helps. If it doesn't just change back what you did.

It is a bit like a Mac I assume, which I mainly use now. The root account is disabled by default but you can enable it.

I did just because I could Cool

To those not familar with UNIX, Linux et al, Mac OS is based on them and the root user is the admin Tongue

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Agree @Alex

I did suspect a form of permissions issue.  As far as I can see, all services are running fine.  Both systems on the same workgroup.  Networking on a peer to peer has always been a problem.  I cant see it being an issue between Home and Pro.  Windows own network troubleshooter finds nothing.  I do also have a NAS box, that I havnt used for a while, can see if Home can see that on the network.  I do find it odd that the laptop cant even see itself, but the desktop can see both.

I will try enabling hidden admin account, but will also temporarily disable password protected sharing, see if that does anything to the laptop being able to see the pro version.

Done full reboots a couple of times to see if there is anything 'stale' lurking, but nothing.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well after googling around I came a cross a random list that mentioned the service function discovery provider host. Googling this brought up a good few posts about this issue. In essence Microsoft broke sharing in 1803, something to do with removing homegroup.... I have detailed some posts below on how to provisionally fix the issue until Microsoft get around to fixing if. I would be interested to see if anyone else has this issue.....

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/file-explorer-may-not-detect...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/homegroup-removed-how-to-get-netw...

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/17/fix-pcs-no-longer-recognized-in-network-after-windows-10-version-1...