cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nether Nighthawk D7000 Router

SWebster
Grafter

Nether Nighthawk D7000 Router

Is anyone using the Netgear Nighthawk D7000 router with Plusnet finer?
I bought one the other day, hoping that it might be better than the BT Homehub 5 that I have been using.  At the moment it seems worse.  I have to say, that some people do not like the Homehub 5, but ever since I set it up I have had few problems with it and a constant connection - had to reboot a few times, but not many.
Anyway, at first I could not connect the Nighthawk at all.  Would not pick up the dal signal at all.  I tried again after a day or so and changed the settings from VDSL2 to ADSL and then suddenly it picked up a signal and connected. 
It was working this morning and I went out for some hours this afternoon and when I arrived home, the signal had dropped and it again took me forever to reconnect it and get it to work.
The signal keeps dropping for some reason.  Once it is connected though, the speed is very good and the signal strong and works well on both the 2.4 GHz and the 5GHz.
In the setup wizard it does have Plusnet in the drop down menu to select when connecting.
Anyone else had problems with this router and are there any optimum settings that I should be using to stop the dropped connections?  It is a lovely router, but any more of this and I might go back to the BT HomeHub 5 instead - fewer dropped connections.
Thanks in advance for any help.
3 REPLIES 3
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Nether Nighthawk D7000 Router

I have the Netgear Nighthawk D7000 router with Plusnet Fibre and could not be happier. Originally I just used the automatic setup and selected Plusnet as the ISP.  I seem to remember that it would not connect at first and I had to go back into the settings and manually input my Plusnet Username and Password. Since then have had no problems with it all synching at the max 80/20 and no dropped connections. I am getting full speed on both wired and wireless connections which is something I was not getting with the Plusnet supplied router and BT Openreach modem.
The settings being used are:-
Internet Provider: Plusnet
Transfer Mode:  VDSL (PTM)
DSL Mode: VDSL2
Enable This Interface (ticked)
Use VLANID (ticked): 101
Priority (0-7): 0
Does Your Internet Connection Require logon: Yes
Encapsulation: PPPoE (PPP over Ethernet)
Login: username@plusdsl.net
Password:  *******************
Service Name: (blank)
Connection Mode: Always On
Idle Timeout: 0
Are you running the latest firmware (v1.0.0.26) ? If not then you may find an upgrade improves things. At the very least it might improve the automatic setup process.
If you had a self install have you tried changing your filters?
SWebster
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response.
Well, after having disconnected the router last night and put back my BT HomeHub 5 so that I could get a connection, I decided to try again this morning.  I plugged it in and did a reset on it and low and behold after a few minutes it picked up the dal signal straight away.
I came back to the computer and all the settings I had previously entered were correct and all my wifi settings were the same, so I installed the firmware update and it is now up to date and so far the router seems to be working okay and no dropped connections.  Fingers crossed.  All I can think is there might have been a glitch that needed a reset and then it started working again?
We don't have the filters as we were one of the first in our village to get connected to fiber when it came out, so about a year ago now and we had the Plusnet people and Openreach to install the new front plate and the modem.  In fact, it was so new, that the Plusnet person who came to install the new front plate and connect us up could not do so due to a lack of a key to get into our green cabinet, so it meant Openreach coming out twice more - once with the key and as I did not have a router, they kept taking the modem away.
Anyway, thanks for your help and with the reset and the firmware update, the signal seems to be holding at the moment.
SWebster
Grafter

Hi,
Anyone got any further ideas about why this modem/router will not work?
I had it connected all day yesterday - I re-set the router and it worked perfectly all day and all evening yesterday.  However, this morning, the signal had dropped and would not connect.
I have tried everything - re-setting and switching off an on, but still when I connect it does not pick up either the internet or dal signal.  All the settings are correct and it worked okay yesterday all day, so I am not sure what to make of it or what to do?  Any ideas?
I have had to go back to using my BT HomeHub 5 so that I can get a connection to the internet.
Any help gratefully received.