Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NT SUR Gold and Windows 10

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

NT SUR Gold and Windows 10

I have been searching for solutions to the problems trying to run MS Outlook on Windows 10.  I have found several proposed solutions and prepared all the necessary files to give it a try.  But I have fallen at the first hurdle !  Set-up is asking me to run "NT SUR Gold", whatever that is.  It appears that this may be due to a difference between 32 and 64 bit but I cannot pretend to understand.  I am running a brand new HP laptop, as my old desktop died.
Can anyone give me a clue as to how to overcome this first hurdle !!
I am desperate to be able to continue to run Outlook 2000 as my life has revolved around it for fifteen years !  I will not go to the new Outlook because once bitten, twice shy - if MS software is not going to be reverse compatible in future, I will not invest in it but have to find something else to replace it.  In the meantime, I need to be able to access my old Outlook files and folders as they are the only source of everything I have done for years.
I am assured that Outllook 2000 will work on Windows 10 if run in Corporate / Workgroup mode as opposed to Internet Mail mode.  As I have always run the Corporate mode, there should be no problem and I have the original licence still.
But if I cannot even get past NT SUR Gold, I am stuck .
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: NT SUR Gold and Windows 10

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Trouble with Thunderbird, last time I looked, was getting your emails out again if you want to move on to a different email program.
NedLudd
Grafter

If you Google NT SUR Gold you'll find that you can download the file from quite a few places. Whether it will work in Windows 10 is another matter though as there doesn't seem to be any queries about that. The file does seem to have been around for a long time.
This http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/a-look-at-running-older-versi... MS article seems to suggest that Outlook 2000 and Windows 10 do not mix!  Undecided
Geoff,
York.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I'm not sure what if anything there is to download, I think many things on the first page of google results look highly dubious. Any dodgy website could offer some random download full of nasties claiming it fixes some error message, people might be desperate enough to download and run it trying to get something to work.
Perhaps this page will clarify things: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/232260
There is nothing to download.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So presumably shermans is trying to install more than just Outlook.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I am assuming that the Office installation program is attempting to install Internet Explorer 4, the same as Encarta Virtual Globe was as described in KB232260. Then the IE4 installation program is so old it fails to detect the version of Windows properly. Outlook 2000 may or may not work properly with the version of Internet Explorer or Microsoft web browser that's part of Win 10, it may not be too important if IE is only used by some minor components of Office / Outlook 2000. I suppose pre-Win 10, the Office 2000 installer detected Internet Explorer was already installed.
shermans
Pro

Quote from: ReedRichards
So presumably shermans is trying to install more than just Outlook.

No. I am not knowingly trying to install more than just Outlook.  But from the answers above, it appears that maybe the Set-Up program is trying to install something else (maybe like IE4 ?) though why that should be the case I do not know.  Is there any way to stop the Set-up program from doing so ?  It does not make any mention of anything like that.
What has crossed my mind is probably very naive and daft but worth asking anyway.  I do have the installed program on a disk which I could just copy across into the new computer lock, stock and barrel.  Is there any chance that would work or would it not function because there would be no entries in the registry ?  I admit to not understanding how the registry works.
I have thought about Thunderbird before but have also read warnings about inflexibility.  It seems it suffers from the same drawback as Outlook, namely that once you use it, you are stuck with it.  Having said that, I would dearly like to be able to keep my old, familiar Outlook if any way can be found to do so.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The KB232260 article said you might be able to continue the Outlook 2000 installation if you close the dialog box about NT SUR Gold by clicking its X button in the corner, instead of clicking the OK button.
shermans
Pro

I have just tried that, but it does not make any difference, even if I just "X" the message and try to continue.  The Set-up.exe just closes.  The problem is definitely associated with IE4, because the set-up disks contains also all the ie4.CAB files in the same folder.
dick:quote
ejs
Aspiring Hero

You could try doing a custom installation and not install any optional components that might require IE, but that might not make a difference if core components need IE.
The situation is that Office / Outlook 2000 is way out of date, has not be supported nor received any updates for many years now, so you really shouldn't continue to use it.
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
I'm not sure what if anything there is to download, I think many things on the first page of google results look highly dubious. Any dodgy website could offer some random download full of nasties claiming it fixes some error message, people might be desperate enough to download and run it trying to get something to work.
Perhaps this page will clarify things: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/232260
There is nothing to download.

What has Encarta Virtual Globe 99 Setup on Windows 2000 got to do with Outlook 2000?
And, why are you suggesting that I am pointing the OP to 'dubious' results?
Geoff,
York.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

One of the linky`s... was to a forum... where Encarta and Virtual Globe 99.... ( probably the same era as Outlook ).. needed the same NT SUR GOLD ( version 4 , I think)... which was also related to the install of I.E.4...
That, is what it has to do with it..... IF you had read the post, and the linky`s...  Roll_eyes
NedLudd
Grafter

I had read the post and most of the links thank you!
Geoff,
York.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: NedLudd
What has Encarta Virtual Globe 99 Setup on Windows 2000 got to do with Outlook 2000?

It's the same error message, both installers are attempting to install Internet Explorer 4, and the IE4 setup is failing to install because it's so old it does not detect the operating system version correctly, is it not applicable for such a new version of Windows.
And, why are you suggesting that I am pointing the OP to 'dubious' results?

Because of:
If you Google NT SUR Gold you'll find that you can download the file from quite a few places.

What is "the file"? Which places exactly should I download it from? I think "NT SUR Gold" is referring to the operating system version, a minimum of Windows NT 4.0, so you can't download an exe file to install it.
When I searched Google for NT SUR Gold (without quotes), some of the results start with "Nt sur gold free download" and then a load of gibberish, I don't even particularly want to click them because that'll help keep them near the top of the search results.
@shermans
Have you tried running the installer in a compatibility mode?