Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini dv transfer

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Mini dv transfer

I have a jvc gr-d240. Over the years I have collected a good deal of tapes and now swmbo has decided she wants them on dvd.... No problem I thought, as I transfered a couple a few years ago, until I realised that my laptop had no firewire port, and I retired my desktop years ago. I got a pci firewire card and put in my sons desktop, and evenrually got windows 10 playing nicely, and camcorder recognised. Now cyberlink powerdirector 12 and ulead capture software refuse to capture, something about not initialising properly, even though both programs detect camcorder fine. Managed to eventually get an old piece of software working, arcsoft showbiz but its not very good and very limited. Do I need drivers for the camcorder for win 10, evdn though device manager sees the camera fine. Bit stumped as to why paid for software will not capture. Anyone any ideas.....

14 REPLIES 14
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Mini dv transfer

I had a very similar thing happen to me, but I run Windows 7. Device manager picked up Cam-corder (a Canon}, knew it was there but didn't show in software, not even software that came with camcorder. I opted for software called Movavi and all is fine, no problems with capture and you can add front / end credits etc. as well as adding effects. I now have some cracking DVD's from mini-dv tapes. Thumbs_Up

You could also try this, but the software is a bit limited, works off USB...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=UK+USB...

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. I have one of those, I use it for analogue capture. It is this where I got the arcsoft software from. Again power director refused to capture from this device as well.
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

The software I got with mine is Honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 SE. but as  I say, it's a bit limited that's why I opted for software called Movavi. It not only works with my Canon, it also works with my Sony Handycam.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the advice mate. Is this movavi software free? 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

There is a free download link on the Movavi site but I suspect it is a limited version as the price to buy is around £35.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Pete11
Seasoned Pro

The free download is limited to 7 days, but you do have the option of buying a separate 'key' to make it full version. Or you can buy the full version outright for £35. I opted to get the free version first just in case it was a little difficult to get to grips with, but it was a short learning curve and gives excellent results.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. Bit miffed that the software I have will not work, particularly elements 12. (It may be limited as it was a download from computer shopper, but as it recognised the camera I assumed it would import). Error message was about the ilink not being the same version as on the camera. I had to use legacy drivers for win 10 to get the card to recognise the camera....

Also cant just import all these tapes as I still need the camera to digitise a load of old super8 reels the parents found, and I can alter the shutter speed on this camcorder so I wont get any flicker....  

Seems like most manufacturers have forgotton about firewire, indeed elements 13 and above have removed the option to import from dv according to other forums.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

yeah, I know what you mean. My laptop hasn't got the fittings for firewire yet both my camcorders have the port for it. I had to get a gadget that works via USB and use the AV port on camcorders to transfer the video's that way. Having said that, I'm getting great results even if it did mean doing some digging to find out exactly what I needed.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well I can give that a go as well, as the camcorder has av out to connect to a tv. I have one of those usb sticks, got it for vhs to digital transfer. That aside, are you not getting degredation, going from digital to analogue and back to digital?  Rather than a direct digital tranfer....

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

I don't get any noticeable degradation, although there may well be some. The finished DVD's look great and the sound is perfectly in sync. I'm not sure if that's down to the actual software algorithms during transfer or not, but on my h.d. t.v. all looks and sounds great even though some of the tapes are 8 or 9 years old (some are older than that).  

I use both camcorders at times and leave them both set to 'Auto' throughout.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well ill give it a go....  have powerdirector 9 preinstalled on my laptop, which seems to import from most things.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

You could use Powerdirector to import (if it does work) and save as .avi file. Then use another software package to open and edit etc. if Powerdirector is a bit limited. I haven't used that particular software myself so can't really comment on it, but good luck anyway.

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Just a quick update.  Used my usb dongle convertor and to be honest the quality is good, better than the firewire, as using fire wire I was getting some jaggies at the edges of things.  May due to the firewire drivers being legacy or something but using the analogue output of the camcorder gives a better result.  Never thought of that before..... The usb stick (An august vgb100) has win 10 drivers.

Still having to use the arcsoft software to import as everything else I have(Power director 9 and 12, and sony vegas 9) refuse to see the camcorder. If I want to edit will have to import the mpeg captures into one of these.  

At least its working anyhow..... Thanks for the help, and now I dont have to commandeer my son's pc, as thus all works on my laptop.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Nice to know you got it all sorted. You should be able to get some great results but it's all software dependent. Some software will do one thing and another will do something different. The software I have doesn't do end credits for example, but in Nero v8 I can add end credits to run just like the credits at the end of t.v. progs and films.

Good luck with it anyway and nice to know it's all up and running. Thumbs_Up