cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microfilter issue - maybe?

division72

Microfilter issue - maybe?

My internet connection has been fine since I signed up to Plusnet. But in the afternoon last Thursday (27th of July), the internet stopped working. The broadband light flashed slowly then quickly, and the internet light didn't come on. My sister told me that her house had a power surge (she lives 1 Mile away from me), so I thought that may have caused the issue. The following day, there was still no internet. I left it till the Saturday, as the phoneline service in my area is pretty [-Censored-]. On Saturday, I checked to make sure that all the connections were OK before I phoned Plusnet. As a shot in the dark, I swapped the microfilter supplied by Plusnet, for a spare that I had kept, and the internet came back on. But, today, an hour and a half ago, the same thing happened. So I swapped the spare for the Plusnet one, and again it started working fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

7 REPLIES 7
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Microfilter issue - maybe?

As you're tried two:

Best checking your landline, disconnect everything else (rules out internal wiring) and just leave a phone plugged into the master socket. It will be the first one nearest your front door I think. I believe you can do a 17070 option 2 quiet line test. Or do a test call to someone to check the quality of the line. If the call quality is bad, then that could be the problem and affecting your BB.

The fact you've tried two filters may suggest a line fault which might have to raised to BT, but test the landline first as it could be a factor.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Changing the microfilter will break your internet connection and force the router to re-establish it.  Perhaps that is really what cures the problem?  

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@division72 wrote:

I swapped the microfilter supplied by Plusnet, for a spare that I had kept, and the internet came back on. But, today, an hour and a half ago, the same thing happened. So I swapped the spare for the Plusnet one, and again it started working fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have heard that microfilters can build up static etc. and appear to have become faulty, however unplugging them and re-connecting them can sometimes resolve issues.

When you swapped them out A for B and then B back to A, did you try just reconnecting them first, or just swap them straight away?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
division72

On both occasions I switched the router off, swapped the filters and then switched it back on.

It's been fine the past couple of days. As I said in my original post my phone line isn't very good, so, I don't know?

It's OK at the moment, so I'll leave it as is.

But, thank you to everyone who replied.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

@division72 wrote:

As I said in my original post my phone line isn't very good, so, I don't know?

In your original post you referred to the phone line in your area.  If you personally have an audibly noisy phone line then you are very unlikely to achieve a good broadband connection.  Audible noise usually goes hand-in-hand with high frequency noise.  High frequency noise makes your broadband run slowly. 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As ReedRichards advises, if your phone line is noisy then that needs investigating as it's likely to be the cause of any issues you're having. Is there noise on the line if you plug only a phone in?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Can't you do a 17070 quiet line test and see how it goes?