cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Network advice

PaulyB

Mesh Network advice

Hi.

I live in a 3 floor town house and am now permanently working from home, as i my partner. We're struggling to get wi-fi coverage on the upper floor where we've set up some office space. I have switched from the PN Hub to the BT Smart Hub Home 6 but this has not helped, neither has using a Netgear Wifi extender on the mid floor.

So... I'm looking to invest in the BT Whole Home Wifi but had a few questions for other PN users:

- Is there any difference in using it with the PN Hub vs the BT Smart Hub?

- Which variant is best? Amazon seem to be pushing the AC2600 (3 for £199).  The AC1200 is available elsewhere and a lot cheaper?

- Anyone have experience of using it in a town house?

- Does signal remain strong through closed doors?

- Finally, is BT Whole Home the popular choice? I'm keen for ease of set up and simple reset process if needed.

Thanks Smiley

5 REPLIES 5
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Mesh Network advice

Seriously consider dropping an ethernet cable down the outside/inside/middle of the external wall.

PaulyB

I suppose it's a question of how much an electrician would charge to do that. We're looking to move home in the next couple of years, so a mesh solution is something we can take with us. Our requirements are not that intense, mostly work related email and video messaging. I do game online on occasion but even with the current setup I've not had many issues.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@PaulyB 

It's worrying that a WiFi extender on the mid floor doesn't help. Do you get adequate perfomance on the mid floor using the extender? If so then a mesh system might help. Unless you install an Ethernet backhaul the mesh units still need a wireless interconnection to work. If you have a modern house then some builders include aluminium foil coated insulation panels in walls, floors/ceilings. This absolutely kills WiFi signals. Another option is powerline units but again if the property is modern then this is likely to be problematic, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

I suspect that unless you go to an Ethernet connection that it's a case of trying different options to see which is the best compromise, all properties are different when it comes to WiFi.

The BT whole Home WiFi will work with any router  with a LAN output, so you can use it with a Plusnet hub should you wish.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PaulyB

@Baldrick1  On mid floor I'm using connected via wifi to the router downstairs and signal is perfectly fine, no need to connect to the extender (though if I do, performance is fine). No chance of that on the upper floor though. Hopefully it's not some quirk of construction that is making the upper floor a dead zone. 

I'll give the mesh option a go.

madswitcher
Pro
Fixes: 1

I would go with a mesh system. 

My experience was to buy a DECO P9 mesh with 3 WiFi hubs.  The first (main) hub plugs directly into a router Ethernet port (we then turned off the wFi in the router) and the other 2 hubs then back haul over the mains cabling.  Works like a dream.

Cheers

Mike