Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee full scan

Rocko
Dabbler

McAfee full scan

Hello,

I decided it was time to run a McAfee full scan yesterday. This began at about 11am and other than this scan the laptop was idle. I checked again at 4:30 pm and only 60% of the scan was complete (110,000 files approx.) I checked again at 10:15pm now at 81%, at this point I decided to pause the scan and shut the laptop down. I have run full scans before on this laptop that have taken a while but nothing like this. Have any other plusnet users had similar issues or does anyone have any suggestions to what the problem may be?

Many thanks

15 REPLIES 15
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: McAfee full scan

Have you got CCleaner installed?   if not... install it,

click on the wheel/cog  (Options) and then choose "settings" ... on that page...   Secure Deletion... choose "Secure file deletion) .  and in the selection box... choose Advanced Overwrite ( 3 passes ) 

and then run it... ( It may take a long long long time  on the first run )..

This should clear out a load of old useless files and stuff before you do your "McAfee" scan.

You could also do a "Registry Cleaner"... if you have been installing and uninstalling programs since your last McAfee scan...

after you haved done the "initial clean up"... your McAfee scan would probably take less time, as it has less files to scan... ! 

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Hi , yes it does seam a long time Sad  but there again it is McAffee Cry

Problem is there are a not a lot here that use it because its  POOOOOP  and you would be better uninstall it and use something else , plenty of free ones about or just like me use windows built in Defender , with help from Malwarebytes Free Thumbs_Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes there are people who don't get on with McAffee on these forums, and use something else and will suggest alternatives. There was another recent thread discussing a similar issue.

Could be an update to the software which has screwed it up, or you could have something running in the background slowing it down. I would try and run it again with as little as possibile in the background to see if it any faster. If you're brave enough I would go to task manager and shut applications down manually.

I've not used it in years so I don't know what it is like now.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

This will probably be caused by having a load of junk for McAfee (yuck!) to trawl through. As @shutter advises, Ccleaner is good (make sure you have the latest version, there was a problem with it a bit back). I have also used WinOptimiser in the past (use it for the free trial period then delete it). Malwarebytes will identify a load of PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programmes) and give you the option to get rid of them. Another big load of code will arise if Windows has updated in the last month. The old version will have saved in the directory Windows.old for a month To remove it see https://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/.

The trick is to get rid of the junk, and if you want the very best performance, defragment the hard drive (assuming it's not a SSD), before running a virus scan.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Rocko
Dabbler

Hi Shutter,

Thanks for the reply. I've been using C Cleaner for a while but not with the settings you suggest. I'll change the settings and see what happens, the only draw back is that I cannot alter the files that have been deleted with stock settings.

Many thanks

Rocko
Dabbler

Hi rongtw,

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to try a few suggestions first, see what happens and then decide. All I can say is that so far McAfee seems to have worked OK for me, however you never know how good or bad software is until you have a problem

Many thanks 

Rocko
Dabbler

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. As far as I know there was nothing else running, I did open the task manager to see what was going on but it confirmed that nearly all of the resources were being used by the anti virus software. I have decide to try a few suggestions and see what happens next.

Many thanks 

Rocko
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick 1,

Seems like a cunning plan. I've had a look at your suggestion about the windows old folder and it looks like previous incarnation windows has already gone. I'll have a look at the other things you suggested, there has to be a reason for it.

Many thanks

PS. Thanks for the link

Baldrick1

wrote:

.... This began at about 11am and other than this scan the laptop was idle. I checked again at 4:30 pm and only 60% of the scan was complete (110,000 files approx.) I checked again at 10:15pm now at 81%,

Just for a comparison I have just run a full scan using Kaspersky (is that howls of derision from the reds under my bed brigade that I can hear?). It took 22 minutes to get through 598,000 files. OK I have an SSD system disc plus a HDD for data but even so...

Moderator and Customer

Rocko
Dabbler

Hello again Baldrick 1,

Thanks for the update, the speed of Kaspersky is impressive. Another thing to consider!

Again Many thanks

Baldrick1

you could try the free one month trial and see how it goes.

Moderator and Customer

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Download Avast, it's free, decent, detects stuff (unlike AVG) and doesn't cause any hassle.

McAfee is the worst AV I've ever used.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Rocko
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers Rocko

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My brother had a very similar problem on his pc. Full virus scan with nod would take so long that he would end up turning it off.

I can't remember the exact details but I believe it was down to a windows log file. Windows had got upset over some very minor thing and kept making a log file about it. Of course the log file was tiny but there was tens of thousands of them. The problem it was logging wasn't very important so I set up CC to empty that directory when used. I think I eventually turned off that log recording.

The big give away to where the problem was, on nod anyway, was watching the checkers progress in the nod window. It would zip through most of the windows partition and then slow to a crawl in the offending directory.