cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maxing out CPU

Mav
Fixes: 515

Maxing out CPU

The issue surrounding CPU overheating is well documented but what about when it's being run at 99%-100% for prolonged periods?
I have got loads of high quality videos I'm rendering and I just tend to set them in batches and them to get on with it. A batch yesterday was around 24 hours. The CPU temp didn't go above 59C but was mostly at 58C but all 6 cores were maxed out most of the time.
I'm thinking of setting up a batch that may take all weekend. Can this damage or shorten the life of the CPU or is it not an issue to be concerned about?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

13 REPLIES 13
sjptd
Grafter

Re: Maxing out CPU

The temperature is unlikely to raise much more if the load stays the same.  Many modern CPUs automatically lower speeds as more cores are more fully active if things get too hot. 
See a list of recommended max temps at http://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-temperature.html
Mav

Sorry, re-reading my post I realise I didn't make it clear that I'm not concerned about the temps but about the CPU running for extended periods at 99%- 100% load.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

They are designed to run all day 24/7 at 100% as long as the cooling is sufficient.
The only issues are when the temp rises and the processor starts shutting down.
Mav

Cheers! I'll stop worrying Roll_eyes

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

indeed that why MS keeps trying to figure out how to utilise those wasted clock cycles when people have their systems online but in idle state .....
there last bright idea was opting into the human genome project but that lead to a massive problem with people corrupting the code and creating giant botnets ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Go back a few years and we were all encouraged to run SETI, which pretty well maxed out your cpu.
nanotm
Pro

lol i couldn't remember what other projects there were and I'm too lazy to look them up, i do recall having had my pc on 24/7 for several months as part of those community botnet groups for the betterment of mankind though, sad really they had ot stop because of people subverting them so much
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Seti (and others) are still running.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

prime95  Cool nice cpu test
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Funny you started this thread Mav as i was only just thinking about max CPU strain recently myself.
My take on it is this: The CPU is constantly running / live anyway. When it's at 100%, windows tend to become sluggish yet oddly, the mouse pointer doesn't - it still moves around quite happily and this is being controlled directly by windows itself which is then renderring it onto the screen and overlaying it over any windows you have open.
From that, I concluded that CPU load isn't actually real physical strain on the CPU but the number of processes that windows is executing on it and trying to keep up with. With that in mind, windows itself must actually be controlling what it feels is an adequate load on the CPU while holding back enough CPU power for its own core to run with.
Sometimes though you'll get to the screensaver and it'll take a while to come back. The only thing I can think of is that windows has stopped prioritising the graphical display in order to keep up with other tasks.
Now with all that said, a CPU is basically millions of transistors all setup to pass signals between each other for various hexadecimal commands that are run through them. Now if you don't run a cpu intensive program, less of those transistors are going to be switching between high and low levels thousands - millions of times per second. If you do run a CPU intensive task then they will be maxed out and be switching constantly and like most electronic components they have a limited lifespan. That said, the CPU is smart enough to recognise it's own overheating and danger points and all the time it's happy, it should be ok. Most electronic compoenents also have a long lifespan and the few that do sizzle tend to be cheap chinese capacitors. CPUs tend to be developed in america  Cool
So while it's easy to think that Windows manages it all and holds the CPU time back enough to protect the CPU and that it's only virtual code / nothing real on the CPU, the CPU is still running billions of signals through its transistors per second and this does of course put strain on it. Then when you think it over some more the manufactuers will obviously know the limits of their hardware and delinberately limit it to a safe level anyway.
To be honest Mav, I'd say you're better off running it constantly rather than turning the machine on and off as the heating up and cooling down of the CPU core dies is more likely to cause long term damage if you ask me.
I once heard of a taxi with over 500k on the clock that barely had any engine hassle. Turned out it was shared between two blokes who both lived at the same address and did 12 hour shifts - they literally took the car home, left it running and switched over on the doorstep on most days meaning the car very rarely had its engine stopped. While I agree that maxing it out to the max RPM constantly wouldn't be a good idea, the constant running temp and lack of heating up, cooling down etc probably had a massive advantage.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nanotm
Pro

that would be the same chips with made in Malaysia stamped on them ?
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

No but i'll bet they're made to very strict standards that are laid down by the designers at Intel, AMD and the like.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: 7up
..................... the CPU is still running billions of signals through its transistors per second and this does of course put strain on it.

In the main, the number of switching in this situation is actually irrelevant. The temperature that the device(s) run at has a far greater impact on the life and reliability.