Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mailinator being blocked?

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Mailinator being blocked?

To get round the issues with the firewall on my desktop PC, I ran some diagnostics from my Android tablet last night. You will see from the attachments that a traceroute to Mailinator fails at IP 207.99.53.42, which a whois reveals is Net Access Corporation in New Jersey, USA. So it seems to me that my own IP (or a whole group of Plusnet IP's which include it) are being blocked by that company. I'm now going to contact Mailinator and ask them if they can investigate further.
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

Now this is interesting - the emails I sent to Mailinator and Net Access Corporation both bounced. Here is part of the error message I received for the Mailinator one:
"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
    support@manybrain.com
Technical details of permanent failure:
Message rejected by Google Groups. Please visit http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=188131 to review our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines."

So it definitely looks as if my Plusnet IP (at least) is blacklisted as a spammer - I assure you I'm not!
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

Well, having followed this through it appears that my own IP is on a Spamhaus blacklist (see attachment). I've also checked the IP's at both ends of the range and they are too, so it appears that a whole block of Plusnet IP addresses have been blacklisted. As an individual, Spamhaus won't enter into any correspondence with me, but I wonder if Plusnet should chase this up with them? I'm worried I may start to find that I can't access other sites as well which check against the blacklist.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since the 146.200.*.* IP range is a dynamic one the whole range appearing on the Spamhaus policy blocklist (PBL) is to be expected. Note this is a policy blocklist and *not* a blacklist.
Such IPs are not expected to send emails directly out on to the internet. For this range emails should be sent via relay.plus.net which provides the necessary authentication and *shouldn't* appear on the PBL (nor any other Spamhaus list). Are you using relay.plus.net?
David
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

spraxyt, not sure what you mean by relay.plus.net, but I'm using Windows Live Mail set up as per the guide issued by Plusnet Support, and have password authentification switched on. Also bear in mind that my IP seems to be the reason I can't browse to the Mailinator site.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

"Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
    support@manybrain.com
Technical details of permanent failure:
Message rejected by Google Groups. Please visit http://mail.google.com/su...y?hl=en&answer=188131 to review our Bulk Email Senders Guidelines."

For this error, did you send the email via your email client and is the outgoing server in there set as relay.plus.net? If so, this is nothing to do with your IP address.
Whether or not your dynamic IP is on a spamhaus list should have 0 impact on you accessing a website, if it is then they are using the list in a very very odd way.
I'm really struggling to see how this can be an issue on our side, especially as we're not able to replicate the problem. One thing we haven't yet tried is a disconnect/reconnect on your router to get assigned a new IP address. Can you try that?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

Chris,
Oh, I see - no, I have my own domain and my email address derives from that; hence email is sent via my web host. As you suggest, I might reboot my router and see if I get assigned another IP address.
Thanks to all for their help with this issue.
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

Now I find that http://www.faststone.org/ is being blocked as well - haven't restarted the router yet, so I'm on the same IP as before. Definitely some blacklisting going on.